Wake Up Call

I slowly opened my eyes, recalling the dream I had only a couple of seconds ago. The memory of the dream began to fade in my mind, like sand when it slips through your fingertips. Knowing that the dream will return again, I stared out into the sky. It didn't surprise me that my window was opened, as it has every day since The Gate had been compromised only a year ago.

The Gate, as I call it, is a long tall wall that separates the demons from the humans. Many, many, years ago the demons and humans lived together in prosperity. Until the demons started attacking the humans, sucking their blood, stealing their souls, you name it. So we decided enough was enough, and that's when The Gate was developed. And just recently, a couple of demons have crossed the barrier causing mayhem, we just don't know how they actually crossed over without setting off an alarm, and it looks like I've been getting a nightly visitor.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sudden ringing of my annoying phone. With a struggled groan, I reached for my phone and looked at the caller ID.

" What."

I said in an assertive tone.

" Yo, chica! Yah up yet?"

My friend, Luis, said in a cheerful attitude.

" What?" I said confused.

" GOOD!"

He yelled into the speaker causing me to curse and hold the phone away from my ear.

" Just thought that I'd get some coffee for yah! Wondered if you were up . I guess you are now...HEY, wanna go see a movie later?!"

I rolled my eyes and scratched my head.

" And how much coffee did you consume?"

There was a long pause.

" Umm...One. No, two? Yeah defiantly two."

He said, his voice slowly getting higher.

"Luu," I told him using his nickname with a 'motherly' tone.

" Don't you lie to me now."

I scolded him through the phone. Luis drawed out a long depressed sigh that made me smile, knowing that nothing could get past me when it came to him.

" Fine, I had like three.. and a half."

I stood up and walked to my window, staring up at the sun that seemed to look down on everyone, thinking that it is better than everyone else below.

" That half part. It wasn't part of mine, was it?"

I looked down into the trees watching a bird mourn over her husband's death.

" Oh crap, I'm sorry I forgot! I'll umm... I'll just go buy another one. Blonde right?"

I shake my head and swing my hair to my left shoulder.

" Nah, it's okay, just finish it. I'll meet you down there and buy one myself."

I could practically see the smile on his face as he answered.

"Alright, but it's on me!"

Closing the phone I smiled at it, What would I do without you Jay? And it was the truth too, Lui helped me through some hard times after Lily's death. It would be hell without him.

I pushed myself off away from the window and looked into the long thin floor length mirror and took in my features. As always, the first thing I noticed were my small sleepy blue eyes. The second thing that stood out was my hair, with long brown strands that reached down to the small of my back. I grazed my eyes to my cheek bones, down my arms and legs, then back to my eyes again, sighing as I swoop my hair into a sloppy bun on top of my head. Lightly pulling open one of my old white wooden dresser drawers. Looking at my options, I grabbed a pair of light shorts and a long grey sweater that said 'I'm not weird, you're simple' across the front. I slipped on socks and my black Toms, and walked to the kitchen.