Lena- Gone

I woke up on the last day Kara was allowed to be in the city. I do not know why I felt the need to see her leave but I had Jessica dress me anyway. I went down to the courtyard and waited. No one showed up. Then I saw Sir James walking across the yard, he spotted me also. He was sad, I could tell. He could not mourn the loss of a friend who had lied and was banished. Even if Sir James forgave his friend, the world, and Kara, would never know.

"She is gone, your Majesty." He says without allowing me to ask.

"When?" I ask, disappointment inexplicably rising in my chest.

"Early yesterday morning, long before the sun even rose."

"But Comet is still here. I saw him in the stables just last night." I try to protest, James shakes his head.

"Orders of the Queen. Comet is the crown's property. Kal left on foot with only what he could carry."

I try to swallow past the lump in my throat. I leave Sir James without a further word and go back to my room. Jessica follows just as silent. I cannot quite figure out my emotions. I used to be so sure of how I felt, nothing for the most part. Now ever since Kara walked into my life I was so unsure about everything. I was sad that she left secretly in the night, not being able to see her one last time. A part of me foolishly thought that seeing her leave would make my emotions clearer. I was angry at Mother for sending her away, banishing her to enemy lands. If they were enemy lands, a voice whispers in the back of my mind.

Alexander and I hurried to mothers study with the papers left by Mister Winslow. They held the only chance of sparing Kara's life. I do not know why I wanted to save the girl who lied to me but the fact that Lex wanted to save her too was all I needed not to question it. We found mother sitting calmly in her study, staring out the window to were the gallows were being erected for the already decided trial. 

"Mother," Lex says with such authority that it actually makes her turn. 

"Yes, my dear children? You look out of sorts. I know this has been harrowing but it will all be over soon." poison seems to seep off her words.

"We cannot kill Kal," I say.

"We can and we will." Mother turns her icy glare on me. 

"No Mother, she has done nothing besides lie to the crown." Alexander retorts back.

"Nothing? She claimed to be a man and infiltrated my army. Who knows what else she could be hiding."  

"Mother, without any proof of anything else, we cannot hang Kal. Nowhere in the laws of the land does it say a knight must be a man, or a soldier must be a man." Alexander says levelly

"That matters not. No one but the scribes and us would know that."

"Mother, this is a human life! Not some dog that must be put down! Kal has done nothing but serve the crown!" I practically yell at her calmness.

"But has he?"

"What?" Alexander and I say at the same time.

"I have suspicions that Kal is not as loyal as he seems."

"What are you saying, Mother?" Now I was just as confused as I was angry.

"I have spies in Cadmium that whisper of someone inside our castle who works to remove our family from the throne. I believe this person is Kal."

"Why would you believe that?" Alexander asks, disbelief plain in his voice.

"How convenient is it that he saves the day three times in the short time since arriving here?"