Chapter 26: Reaching for Him

A dolled girl no more than five feet tall stared back at me. Her long brunette locks were curled in an elegant style which draped loosely below her shoulders. The lashes on her eyes looked bolder and longer than usual. She wore baby pink lipstick for her lips and blush on her cheeks. She didn't cake her face up; just some light makeup will do.

I swivelled my petite figure in front of my mirror, the girl in front of me imitated my movements; the frills at the ends of my silky white dress gently fluttered about my thighs. The dress was simple and neat. I like its puffy sleeves because it covered my shoulders. On my left wrist, I wore my mother's pearls for extra caution.

I slowly made contact to the mirror's smooth surface with the palm of my hand. I don't see any difference at all. My appearance is unchangeable no matter how many attempts I try to fix myself. I still look the same. "Dull..." I breathed out glumly. Not eye-catching at all.

School was out for today. Hoshina and Yamato already left to help organize the ball an hour ago because they both didn't have dates. Amu, on the other hand, reported to me earlier via text she was asked out (a.k.a. December Wish) by a second year.

There was a knock on my front door. I spazzed unknowingly for two seconds before running to get it. Opening the door, a tall well groomed blonde head surprised me as he shyly held a bouquet of bloody roses. He couldn't look me in the eye for he was hiding his tomato face. I was pinking due to his bashfulness and cheesy presentation. I found it cute.

I accepted to his proposal because I remembered Yamato's words about guys feeling dejected through rejection. I only accepted for that fact, nothing more.

We exchanged compliments to each other's guise then boarded on an expensive jet black vehicle. I got the hint Manabe was a rich kid. I left the flowers inside my unornamented house.

The rest of the limo ride was full of awkward smiles and timid conversations. I don't remember how we ended mostly talking about our future plans. "M-My future career has already been decided. I'm going to inherit my grandfather's grand museum. Pretty lame, right?" he muttered unconfidently as if he got the worst job in the world.

"You mean interesting? I don't see how you could describe historical artefacts lame," I amended his adjective. He held a stunned expression on his face for a moment. Has anyone ever complimented this guy? Just wondering. "Do you have anything else you'd like to do other than owning a museum?" I asked.

"My father owns a hefty corporation but my older brother will take over it when his time comes. I'd hate to be him, bearing a big responsibility like that," he sighed. "Do you have something in mind?" he turned to me.

"Unfortunately, no," I faked a shy laugh for not replying maturely. I found it stressful applying which course I'd take for university since I'm at loss of what I want to become. "Despite my okay grades I don't really know..."

"Eh? But you should start thinking what you want to do for your life, Tachibana," he counselled like a grown adult. "Start looking at the things you love to do then later on those passions might even convert into ambitions,"

I wasn't awed at his statement since adults tend to repeat those predictable instructions. However, for a bashful sixteen year old guy, I'm surprise how organize and settled his future sounds; as if he already took his first step on the stairs of adulthood. "What if those ambitions are out of your reach?" I questioned him suddenly, countering his advice. "What if you're not good enough at the things you enjoy?"

"Nobody said it would be easy, right?" he smiled kindly which felt calming to see. "I've experienced that before. I used to compare myself to other people a lot. It made me feel insecure of a lot of things even doing those simple tasks. It felt like I suck at everything but I eventually got over it," the limo passed by a yellow light as Manabe shared his thoughts.