Chapter 1. Flight to freedom.

Start from the beginning

I woke up to silence after a comfortable sleep, which didn't seem strange until I remembered I was still on a plane. I also realized it was the best sleep I had had in quite a while, since it was nightmares, insomnia, or both, that usually kept me up at night. I saw the man on my right getting up and pull down his lugagge. I hurridly got up and wiped drowsiness from my eyes, then pulled down my only duffle bag, my favorite abercrombie and fitch duffle. I wasn't spoiled, this was one of the best things I owned, and by far my favorite. Most of my belongings were blood-soaked or part of evidence in the case for my parents' murder. So all I had was with me, or in a storage container being held by the Specialists until further notice.

I had arrived in northern Maine, right next to the border of canada. Walking out of the tiny airport in my warmest clothes, consisting of: a long sleeve shirt, jeans and a light scarf from my 15th birthday. It was only mid-fall, but I was taken aback by a gush of cold air. I hugged myself and shivered as I turned pink at all my extremities. I was looking around for a driver or someone expecting me, and was not dissapointed by a simple black sign with a flushed white border, the name 'Em' Lorel' written in cursive chalk. I was choked at the thought of my last name, of the Lorel's that were now gone for good. I had known the name was cursed. I was quick to suppress a rising knot in my stomach as it neared my throat, threatening to choke me. Walking up to the sign, I saw the man stood behind it, also in black, wearing a dramatic black trench coat. He had black sunglasses, black leather gloves, black everything. I suppressed a dark chuckle at the sight of him in his all-black gettup like an 'Agent' from movies. I covered my dark smile with my hand. His skin was dark also, his eyes covered by dark sunglasses. Seeing me, he picked up the sign with a swift and silent movement of his hand, then moved swiftly to the back of a long black car with tinted windows, and stored it in the trunk. He took my bag and gingerly placed it next to the sign. When he saw my shivering, he raised an eye-brow and gestured towards the now open backseat door of the car. I gladly, but silently, clambered inside. I almost dived right into the pre-warmed air of the car. I was pleased to find the chairs to be quite comfortable, and I was finally able to feel my fingers again.

The seats were a dark and worn brown leather, so unlike the hard black outer shell of the car. I barely noticed when the driver got into the car and started the car with a smooth purr. Contrasting heavily to the old truck I was used to as a child. Pulling away from the airport, the car made next to no sound, much like the driver, I thought. Looking around, I saw that most of the vehicles were pick-ups or other variety of hardy trucks. The people around the terminal also looked hardy, and annoyingly warm with their smiles and puffy jackets. I leant back, content not to have look at them anymore.

This is where Em dozed off. This also brings the story into the present.

She awoke curled into a ball against the car door. The smaller buildings that stood so stoutly around the airport had been replaced with lush green fields. They were almost immediatly replaced with a thick dark forest of tall, old trees. White spruce trees and apple oaks stretched over the thin and strangely well-kept road. She was reminded of her childhood when her and her mother would name trees in the park. Some of the happiest moments in her life. Still gazing out the window, there was a thick variety of trees that she could name: Black birches, Plum trees, huge Oaks of all kinds and spruce Pines arching over the others. She smiled for the 'second' time, as the forest offered to help her forget and move on like taking her first flight. Her eyes brimmed with tears from the past. She lent back, focused on anything but.

The car drove on for what seemed like hours, past trees that looked the same as the last mile of trees. Eventually though, it slowed, and turned into a large gravel driveway, lined with decorative purple plum trees and a pair of twisted black and bare cherry trees. Coming to a stop at the head of the round'a'bout entrance, Em tried to get out of the car quickly and reached for the door handle. The driver was already there to open it for her. A strong gust of wind hit her as she exited the car, it blew shivers through her where she stood, and the last of the orange leaves from the surrounding trees.

She looked up and admired the large building before her. A dark red brick mansion, with white window frames, obviously very old and very large as it dissapeared into the surrounding woods. The right side of the entrance way was covered in curly and weaving ivy vines up to the fifth story. Two great black stained doors rose before Em. Each was held up by large iron hinges with nails probably as large as herself, weaving out from these nails were some metal decals which curled around in confusing designs. The door's low blemished handles also had intricate carvings barely worn by age and time. To the right of the building, a large black sign with a washed white border bore the name "garçons n'aimaient pas pensionnat" in thick cursive. From her small knowledge of french, Em surmised that it read 'The boarding school for the disliked boy', or something along those lines. Although she doubted that was what it said. Since it would suggest it were a boy's school. So she asked the driver: "What does the sign say?"

The Driver looked at her with something slightly less than a measurement of genuine shock, then responded in a deep smooth voice "Boarding school for the..." he paused, and smirked to himself with a dark chuckle before continuing "special.. boy".

She was less concerned about the affliction of the boys attending this school than the fact that it was indeed a school for boys. She was overrun with sudden panic, "Wait," she said, "School for BOYS?" she exclaimed, her voice reaching a shrill tone at the end of the word.

The driver was now visible unsettled, flinching at the high shriek and sudden outburst.

"yes?" he said simply, obviously unawares of her unawares state.

Her heart was in a frozen flurry that was sure to chill her through, she hugged herself against it. Her thoughts buzzed around in her head like bees. Just before she could speak again, the doors to the school opened with a loud creek and moan, turning her head. A man in a dark tuxedo came through the large gap between the doors. He struck Em as similar to a bird because of his upturned nose, and the tails on his coat. She suppressed a dark chuckle.

He then beckoned her inside, and as she turned to follow, she noticed the driver slowly making his way back to the car. Seeing him as he drove off, she saw the butler holding the bag before she could inhale to say that the driver must still have it.

Again, and impatiently, the raven or crow-like character beckoned her inside. She turned and walked inside to the biggest foyer she had ever seen. She briefly thought that the Whitehouse didnt have a foyer this large when she visited it. It was even topped off with a stained glass dome, depicting a scene of angels and demons, people in a forest, along with bats and a cloaked man, next to what appeared to be a man and a woman holding glowing orbs emitting light rays. Looking down to the edges of this glorious room, there were two staircases. Surrounding the round room from a halfway point, slightly shielding the hallways that led off on either side. The room was such a temperature that it had none, and was almost deadly still. There was a lack of plants, or any life so much as an insect, and an abundance of sculptures in every alcove of the round room. The floors and walls were mainly marble and heavy fabrics in shades of wooden browns, red and white.