1) So What's Your Story?

"These officials are always late, maybe they can learn a bit more about valuing time"

"Don't be so rash Kevin", I quipped.

After months of fighting this out, we were finally sitting outside this large wooden door and a vacant seat separating us.

From a time where I tried every possible way of being close to him, to today where we forced keeping a distance from each other. I realized we had finally reached the last pages of our story together. Even today we pointed fingers at each other's faults with little effort to look back at our own faults. From a phase where I always tried to look best and thought meticulously on my choices to dress, to today where I didn't think one bit than ending these formalities is a jiffy. I realized things had changed with time. 

But at some point everyone of us change right?

Some by choice and some without any motive. We had finally lost powers in our magic wand or maybe we didn't try on using it any further.

From the faintest corner of my eye, I still looked at Kevin, fidgeting with a cracked phone I had gifted him last Christmas. He still was clearly looking restless. I somewhere hoped he would still strike up a conversation just like those old days, where love embraced us and our heart whispered we are one.

Just 15 minutes passed and before any antics Kevin could throw up, the counselling official arrived. Dressed in a tinge blue formal shirt and a black pant, he looked like someone in his 60's and those undyed grey hair would vouch for his experience in his field. He passed like a flash and came back to the door and asked:

"Kevin and Aashna?".

"Yes", we replied in unision.

It definitely would go down as the first confident reply we had together in a while after all that verbal duels.

"Come inside", he smiled.

He had a confident tone, could be like how he handles all those discarded couples in the boat for separation, a daily affair for him nevertheless. First I walked in, Kevin got up a second late and followed me inside. 

His room looked completely different from the waiting room outside. Few picturesque wall hangings, few photos of smiling babies to add to the emotional connect between couples. We sat on cushioned chairs  relatively close to each other, with his desk in front.

"So this would be your final chance together or the final chance you get to think upon your decision on separating. 

I know you would have made up your mind before heading here and would consider this just  as another process or roadblock on officially parting ways.

 I admit, I am not a magician to grant your wish so easily but would try to know you more and look if those broken cords could be still fixed back.  All this, because I have so much of time and you are the only appointment I have for the day",  he joked.

"So this would be the way it goes, one of you can sit and say their part of the story while the other can wait outside and vice versa"

In a spilt second, Kevin got up and walked out. While I sat realizing it was my turn to speak first.

"So Aashna, you can speak all that you want to about this relationship, how things have changed and moreover about 'you'. So what's your story Aashna? "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preface & Chapters 2,3,4. Would be updated in couple of days.

Do drop in your reviews and suggestions.