Chapter 16: Count On Me

Start from the beginning

"So Minnie, will you go to the mall with us tomorrow?" Harper asked, sitting next to us.

"I really don't know. Celia, Sandra and Emily don't like me; I'm not in the mood for a tense atmosphere" I answered, shrugging.

Since Celia entered the poker world she started a friendship with Dyl and Harper —dragging Sandra with her— so the guys were constantly torn between us. While Dyl was closer to me, Harper was with Celia, although I had a strong feeling he had a tiny crush on her. I know... Ewwww.

"C'mon, you have to come, is going to be so fun!" Harper insisted.

"That's what I've been telling her all week" Aaron told him.

"If Grace went, I'd go... she is the only one who's actually nice" I stated.

Grace was Harper's girlfriend, I met her when we were in ninth grade and currently we weren't close, but at least she was nice and friendly. Last year she got together with Harper, that is why I knew who he was before the whole poker thing.

"Ugh! She can't. Besides, Celia is harmless" Harper tried to reassure me.

"And I told you, I won't leave your side" Aaron reminded me.

"See! You have to come!" Harper said excited.

"I'll think about it" I replied, giving them a look that said drop-it.

"Anyway, what are you still doing here?" he asked us, changing the subject.

"Mr. Williams said that everyone who is at risk of failing literature should go to his office in an hour, so he can assign us a project for some extra credits" Aaron answered.

"Oh... Well good luck. I'm going now, Grace is waiting for me" Harper said, looking at his phone.

"I think he has a crush on Celia" Aaron said watching Harper go.

"Yeah, poor him!" I sighed.

"Yeah..." he said absentmindedly, and I did a double take.

"Since when you agree with my opinions about Celia?" I asked surprised.

"Since I realized she is weird. You know, she is only your friend when she will gain something... If she doesn't need you, she ignores you" he explained.

"Wow! I knew she was a brat, but I never thought she was that selfish" I turned to look at him.

"That's why I'm at your side in this battlefield" he smirked, taking my hand.

Aaron is not in love with me... I reminded myself.

"C'mon, let's go to the field, I really need some fresh air before I go to Mr. Williams' office" he said, helping me to stand up.

We made our way to the outside world, but stopped at the door.

"It's raining" he sighed defeated.

"Great! Mother nature decided it was time to rain when I'm using the bus!" I muttered sarcastically.

"What happened to the Minnie mobile?" he asked me confused and I chuckled at his nickname for my car.

"It is sick; I left it with Dr. Mechanic" I said seriously.

"Oh... That's why you are wearing flats, huh?" he said looking at my shoes.

"Yeah, even though I'm the queen of high heels, they weren't made for walking" I informed him.

"And here I was thinking you were getting shorter" he teased me.