22. loving someone

mia blinks in shock for a moment, looking at sean kiss her, but then kisses him back

mia blinks in shock for a moment, looking at sean kiss her, but then kisses him back. the music playing from the carnival's speakers shifts to 'loving someone' by the 1975, and as they are kissing, time seems to stop.

they both then release, and a soft expression falls over sean's face. it's silent for a second, but not an awkward one.

mia looks down and plays with her hands, trying to avoid sean's eyes. she says softly, "i guess that means you're not pretending,"

"i," he hesitates for a second. "i like you, mia. i never believed that soulmate shit, but you make me want to change my mind. and i wish something could happen between us, but you probably don't feel the same way because i've been nothing but a total jackass to you and-"

mia cuts him off and kisses him again.

sean looks at mia confused, and she lets out a laugh in response.

"i like you too," she responds.

a wave of relief washes over sean, and his entire face lights up, never having had felt such a way in his twenty years of living.

"let's get outta here, yeah?" he suggests, gesturing towards the exit.

"what about julian?"

"he'll be fine," sean promises.

"okay," a smile creeps across her face, and the two sneak past the worker again once the ferris wheel stops.

a little while later sean and mia find themselves inside the busy subway station.

"where are we going?" mia says as she rubs her hands together from the cold.

"no clue," sean says bluntly as he looks around the various trains they could take.

"what do you mean 'no clue?!'"

"i was trying to be cute and spontaneous, okay!" sean pouts. "wait- i know where we should go, but we have to get a little spooky first."

mia furrows her eyebrows at sean, unsure of what he has in mind.

"trust me," he mouths. he grabs her hand and leads her to one of the trains.

-

an hour later, mia and sean and walking through a dark alleyway with the only light coming from the neon signs from the liquor store a block away.

"sean..." mia says nervously, staying close as possible to sean out of fear. "are you sure about this plan...?"

the breaking of a branch sounds off behind them, and they both instantly jerk back and look.

"sean," mia's voice shakes.

"oh my god, what is that..." sean's eyes widen as he points to their left. mia's eyes dart to the direction, but she doesn't see anything. sean then grabs her shoulders and yells, "boo!"