Chapter Twenty Nine

oh my fricking goodness. SO Sims 4 FINALLY got the cats and dogs expansion yet my computer doesn't have the right operating system so I can't play. I promise there are real tears in my eyes. I could literally create a Todd since there are foxes omg. RANT ASIDE I AM SORRY. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! So starting at Ch. 30, it should be a little longer and more action-packed or less "fluff".

Chapter Twenty Nine

The day had begun, all of sharing a breakfast meal together before Shaterria left once again. Today, she was to check on any rumors about the King's condition and attempt to make sure all was fine with him for the time being. Soon, we would be of much more help, however, this was all we could do at the moment.

"No."

I frowned, gritting my teeth. Even now, I had forgotten how stubborn he was. His face was a hardened mask without expression. His brown eyes stared into my own, daring me to challenge his reply while his lips were clasped together tightly. Arguing with him never got either one of us anywhere.

"If I go, I am not coming back, Sage," I snapped back, my hands pressed against my hips. "I only need you to check on him. If you leave now, it is not likely that I will be harmed. You do not even have to talk to him. Just make sure he is happy and well," I tried again but Sage simply shook his head.

"Rowan-"

"Sage," I shot back, mimicking his exasperated tone."Please? Todd and I will remain within the castle until you return. I can lock the entrance doors if you prefer as well. You can travel there and back faster than I can. If something does happen, it will likely not be within this morning. So, Shaterria should be back before the sun is gone for the day."

He was quiet for a moment, briefly closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose as if he had a headache. I did not say anything else, allowing him an interval of silence to make his decision. However, if he would not go then I would be the one checking on my father. It had been longer than any of us thought and I was worried.

"You are to lock the entrance as you promised, only unlocking it if I or Shaterria are the ones behind the door. If something happens, you are to hide. Do not try anything on your own, Rowan." His eyes were finally open, his words full of caution while his eyes held a hint of concern.

"I am not as blindly loyal as you, Sage. I am also not dense enough to attempt attacking someone who most likely had the advantage," I replied teasingly, yet Sage did not find the humor in it. I sighed, rephrasing my words. "I will lock the door and keep it locked. Are you satisfied enough to leave now?"

I watched as he relaxed a fraction before nodding. He knelt down, running his hand through Todd's fur while murmuring parting words to him. As he stood up, he looked at me once more. "This is serious. Remain inside until I return," he said, before adding, "I will be back soon with news of your father."

Todd and I walked him outside, watching as Sequeria galloped off, both of them eventually disappearing from our sight. I took Todd inside, closing the door behind the both of us and locking it before turning my attention back to my little one.

"I have not been paying much attention to you have I, my little one?" I asked him, smiling softly when he cocked his head questioningly at me. "I think it is time for a bath. You have not had one in quite some time."

I took Todd with me into the bathroom, hearing his chatter quiet down as the water turned on. Once I turned it back off and put him into the tub, his ears flattened against his skull and his tail lowered. I laughed, watching his ears perked up for a quick moment.

"You act as if I am hurting you, Todd. It will be over in a minute," I said, hoping to reassure him. But he continued to sulk, pleading me to stop my "torturing" all while I merely laughed at him.

"Alright, little one," I said as I finished, draining the water before grabbing a towel. Before I could turn and hold it out to him, he shook himself off. The water droplets flew in every direction, including on me.

Todd started chattering once again as if the bathtime had never happened before he jumped out and flew at me. I laughed, catching him with the towel and wrapping him in it. It was his favorite bit of the whole process, wrestling with the towel.

I sat for a bit, watching and laughing, as Todd darted all around the bathroom, rubbing against me and the other towels I had brought along just for this. However, Todd's frenzied behavior came to a halt as he stood completely still.

"Todd?" I said softly, keeping my voice quiet. His ears were raised, flickering now and again. I could see the fur on his back begin to raise, his tail bristling in seconds. I stiffened, Todd's upper lip curling back as he growled lowly.

"Hush," I whispered, pushing him behind me. He obeyed but remained as alert and nervous as before. I stood, pausing before leaving the room and locking Todd in it. I was sure I had locked the entrance.

I was going against Sage's warning, despite promising him that I would do just the opposite. I searched my room, finding a knife that Sage had supplied me with when I first returned. He had said that all three of us should have something to defend ourselves with in case we were alone.

I crept slowly out of the room, checking the hall, before stepping out. I stood there, listening to anything that might help. While it remained silent, my eyes flickered as they spotted something. The door that led up the stairs towards the King's room was cracked open.

I hesitated, knowing there was nothing else I could do. There was no way to alert Shaterria or Sage fast enough. If I hid, they would find that there was no child and run off, possibly never returning.

I walked up the stairs, doing so quietly. The door leading to the hall was open as well, beckoning me forward. I listened, my steps growing lighter as I continued before taking a deep breath and opening the door.

****So when it is revealed next chapter who it is at the end I will give a brief recap because I know there are long waits between chapters and you may notoo remember some things.

***** Fun fact: I was going to reveal at the end of this chapter, or really just describe who it was but this ending felt more right.