XV

As they often did, Jon found Tucker in Ami's shop, huddled over her counter and whispering together, despite the fact that it was otherwise empty of patrons. The dinging of the bell over the door broke them apart as Jon entered, smiling awkwardly as both set of eyes landed on him. Ami seemed slightly annoyed by the intrusion, while Tucker only seemed curious. "Will came home drunk again," Jon said with no other explanation but a semi- pointed look at Tucker. Understanding that there was more to it than that, Tucker promised to catch up with Ami later and left the shop with Jon. The boy glanced back over his shoulder as he left, catching the angered look on Ami's face before it morphed into a plastered smile. Jon felt an unusual chill run through his bones as he continued out after Tucker, the door closing behind them only slightly lessening his sudden unease.

As they headed back home, Jon couldn't help but speak up. "So, what are you always at Ami's for? You're pretty much the only one that goes in there, let alone that often."

"What does it matter?" Tucker asked, five paces ahead of Jon. He was about the same height as Jon was now, but somehow he always managed to walk at a pace ahead of everyone else.

"It doesn't really, I guess, I just—"

"Need to let it be then," Tucker interrupted without glancing back at him. "In case you haven't noticed, I am still the head of household and as such don't have to keep you all updated on my agendas or whereabouts. And even if I did, I wouldn't, because it's a glorious thing called privacy. You know, that thing I give you when you disappear to do Gods only know what with Babbs and the rest of the Kregs."

"I just—I—sorry," Jon stuttered, caught off guard by the rough brush off. Tucker wasn't the kindest person on any general day, but the gruffness in his voice was harsher than usual. Jon couldn't imagine what he had touched on by asking what he thought was an innocent question, but whatever it was, only made him more curious for the answer.

Before more words could be exchanged between them, Jon found that they had reached home with some surprise. There was always something about traveling with Tucker that made distances and time seem as though they didn't exist as they normally did. Jon rushed to follow Tucker through their closing front door, spotting Robin sitting on the floor, opposite where Will lay sleeping, and just staring. He seemed almost in a daze, not noticing their arrival until Tucker gently put a hand on his shoulder. For a moment, Robin's eyes stayed fixed on Will; then his head slowly turned, eyes dragging up to his mentor, features arranged in such a way that made him look as young as Jon, if not younger.

Then Jon blinked and Robin was Robin again; fierce, determined and carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. "Hope we weren't interrupting anything, but we need you," Robin said as he rose to his feet, without greeting. "Will got us some intel last night that pushed our timeline up. We need to get out of Loxley tonight."

"Tonight?" Tucker said, only a hint of incredulity in his voice.

"Tonight," was all Robin said, a hard glint in his green eyes and set line to his jaw that told Tucker he wasn't up for explaining or arguing over it.

Despite however much he may have wanted to, Tucker didn't push further. He'd argued enough with Robin over the last few days to know that there was nothing he could do or say to change his plans to go forward. Instead, he sighed, heading to the kitchen to grab an apple and take a bite. "Okay then, where's Millie?"

"Sleeping," Robin answered. "I need her as sharp as possible out there and she spent the whole night up on patrols. Sorry, but, you're on your own for a while."

Tucker chuckled bitterly, shaking his head. "Of course I am," he exhaled. "Because working an impossible job means working under worse conditions." Robin opened his mouth to respond, but Tucker raised the hand with the apple, juice trickling down its skin, and silenced him. "I'm going to help you, you know that. But I don't want to hear anything if something doesn't go exactly as planned. Job like this, anything and everything that could go wrong, probably will. It's inevitable."