Chapter Eight: Grayling Alliance Outpost

A hand squeezed my knee, and I woke to darkness. The roar of the truck was gone, and the light beams were off. "Where are we?" I asked Dad and sat up in the seat to take in the night world around us. We parked before a long building with dark windows. One bare light lit the doorway to our right.

"We're at the Alliance Outpost on the outskirts of Grayling," Dad said as he got out of the truck.

"What time is it? Aren't they all asleep?" I opened the truck door and poured out; my brain still drugged from the tiny sleep I got.

Dad rounded to my side. "It's two in the morning, but someone will be awake." Dad led the way to the lit door. "There are always a few officers awake at these headquarters in case of emergency."

I followed Dad to the door. Light poured over us when he opened it. My eyes watered at the brightness as we stepped into a small reception area. The room had light gray walls and dark gray carpet floors. Pushed against the wall to the right and left were old chairs. The wall across from us large window with two doors on either side. One of those doors opened and led to the office situated on the other side of the window.

Two officers wearing black uniforms were in the office. A red-haired man sat in a chair and a dark-skinned man leaned against the door frame. Both watched us in surprise. The door closed behind me with a small thud.

Dad stepped into the center of the room. "Hello," he said.

The door frame officer shot a look at his companion. "Hello," he said. He straightened and took one step toward Dad. "How may I help you?"

"My daughter and I drove from Northport. Rebels attacked our home. I need a phone to contact Chicago and we will need a room for a few hours to get some sleep."

The dark-skinned man hesitated. "I'm sorry, sir, this outpost is for Alliance officers only. I can refer you to the Military Civilian outpost that is about twenty minutes away from here."

Dad shook his head at the young man's recommendation. "No, Corporal. The things I need are here. I'm Dave Sparrow."

Dad's name didn't register with the young man, but the red-haired man in the office flew from his seat and rounded the doorframe. He stopped beside his companion. His smile was bright, which was unsettling since a moment ago he wore a mask of suspicion. "Sir, I know of you. I heard you lived in this area but didn't think you would need to stop here."

"No need to call me sir, Lieutenant. I'm not officially back with the Alliance. I need to contact Admiral Welch."

I watched the interaction between the two men in disbelief. How the hell did this guy know Dad? A moment ago, he was wary of us. Now he treated Dad as an old friend. I wasn't alone, Corporal looked just as confused.

The lieutenant nodded. "Yes, of course. We will provide you with a phone. We have a few field agents here who are looking into the rebel attacks. Corporal Wells, go wake them up."

"Sir?" Corporal Wells hesitated. His brown eyes flicked between Dad and the lieutenant.

The lieutenant turned to the man. "Did you not just graduate from ensign? Have you not heard of Dave Sparrow, the tactical officer?"

Corporal Wells thought for a moment, and then his eyes widened. He looked at Dad. "Oh! I'm so sorry, sir, for what I said when you arrived."

Dad waved away his apology. "No need to apologize. Go wake those officers. I will talk with them before they leave. Tell them I will meet them in a conference room."

The corporal nodded and strode to the closed door on the other side of the large window. I stood stunned. Dad ordered him a task, and the man did it without question. Who was Dad in the Alliance? I didn't ask him earlier in the car. The lieutenant seemed to know of him. He said Dad was a tactical officer, whatever that was. Whoever Dad was, he must have had a decent high rank if the corporal did what he said.