see you again by tyler, the creator ft. kali uchis

writing prompt: after a terrible breakup three years ago, rhett and link accidently run into each other.

"you live in my dream state,
relocate my fantasy,
i stay in reality,
you live in my dream state,
anytime i count sheep,
that's the only time we make up,
you exist behind my eyelids, my eyelids,
i don't wanna wake up."

if link was honest, it was the worst three years he had ever experience. and it was all rhett's fault. he hated him so much, he had caused him so much pain that he did not know if he would ever be able to forgive him again.

". . . can i get a kiss?
and can you make it last forever?
i said i'm 'bout to go to war,
and i don't know if i'ma see you again,
can i get a kiss? (can i?)
and can you make it last forever? (can you?)
i said i'm 'bout to go to war, (bout to)
and i don't know if i'ma see you again. . ."

and if rhett was honest, those three years absolutely killed him because it was his fault. he hated himself so much that because he put link through so much pain. he was not sure if he could ever forgive himself.

rhett raced around the streets of new york to get to the office. he remembered distinctly what his boss told him yesterday, "and if you're late again, mclaughlin, you bet your ass you're fired."

and he would not dare lose his job the second time these past three months.

link felt his heart beat so quickly, he wished he was still as athletic as he was when he was younger and played soccer. he hated that his job made him fly out to new york for this dumb meeting.

and suddenly, link was flung against a brick wall, "hey! watch where you're fucking going!"

"shit! look, man, i'm sor—"

their eyes met.

". . .20/20, 20/20 vision,
cupid hit me, cupid hit me with precision, eye[sic]
wonder if you look both ways,
when you cross my mind, i said, i said,
i'm sick of, sick of, sick of, sick of chasing,
you're the one that's always running through my dreams, i
i can only see your face when i close my eyes. . ."

"rhett?"

"link?"

link thought he would feel the pain he experienced for the last three fucking years. but he didn't feel the pain anymore because rhett was there. he always thought if he came face-to-face to rhett again, he would hit him. but all that anger vanished because rhett was fucking there.

"oh gosh," link sobbed.

"hey, hey, hey, don't cry," rhett cradled his old best friend's body.

the dark-haired man could not control how his body felt or the actions it did. and he was glad because he had no intentions of being able to control. for the first time in forever, link did not need a plan to know what was to happen next.

as long as rhett was with him, no matter how long that was, he felt okay.

"you're here," link reminded him.

"i'm here."

the shorter man rubbed his eyes to get rid of the tears that stained his face, "gosh, you're an actual bitch, you know that?" link chuckled, "making me cry like a baby in the middle of new york."

rhett smiled slightly, his cheeks warming up.

"what are you doing here?"

"i live here. what are you doing here?"

"i'm here on business. i actually still live in north carolina. i'm leaving in two days."

"oh," rhett mumbled. his arms detached from link's since link regained his stance.

and business reminded them they had places to be.

"geez, look, i'll be late for work if i don't hurry. do you mind if we continue this later. you can come over for dinner, if you'd like. because there is no bad blood between us, right?"

link nodded.

"good, here's my number, text me when you're available tonight," and with that, rhett disappeared into the streets of one hell of a busy place.

link couldn't wipe the smile off his face. "no bad blood."

their break up may have been terrible but they were best friends long before they dated. it made him wonder why they really did fight. because he knew deep down he still loved rhett.

link gripped rhett's number in his palm, kissing it lightly, "i'll see you again. soon."

a/n : YALL this is actual shit, i think. there'll be a part two and i'm working on all these other chapters and the other book, so my bad. :')