Vitrola laughs lightly. "This will be your bedroom, yes. You will also be supplied with a handmaid. Sera, I think her name is. Where is that girl?"

"Right here, Miss," a small voice pipes up from behind us. I turn to see a girl around my own age standing in the doorway, hurriedly pushing strands of pale, messy hair beneath a kerchief on her head.

"You're late, Sera. What have I told you about focusing on your tasks?" The chipper edge to Vitrola's voice has dropped and I narrow my eyes at her sudden coldness.

"I'm sorry, Miss." Sera drops her gaze to the floor, scuffing the toe of her boot. "It won't happen again."

"See that it doesn't." Ignoring the girl completely, Vitrola addresses me. "Sera will be your personal maid. She can assist you in any way you need."

"Oh. Lovely!" I force some enthusiasm into my tone.

"I'll leave you to get settled. Remain here, and I'll be back to introduce you to the ladies before supper." Vitrola gives me a cursory nod before heading out the door, not breaking stride as Sera darts out of her way.

I wait until I hear her brisk footsteps retreating down the hallway before I turn and give Sera a friendly grin.

"I'm Abby," I say, extending my hand.

She stares at my outstretched palm for a moment before taking it in a tentative grip.

"I am supposed to address you as Miss Fellows," she tells me.

"Oh." I scratch the back of my neck. "Is that really a hard and fast rule?"

The ghost of a smile crosses her lips. "I'm not sure. No one but the servants has ever asked me to call them by their first name."

"I'm not much for formalities, so let's just stick with Abby for now." I move toward the bookshelf, my eyes skimming over the titles.

Most of the books seem to be typical princess fare—light reads about fashion and beauty—but I notice a few classics, likely slipped in as decoration.

"Would you like to change your dress for supper, Miss Abby?" Sera asks.

"Um," I stammer, glancing down at my dress. "I don't think my trunks have been brought up yet."

"Not to worry." Sera scurries across the room to a set of doors next to the bed. "You and Miss Tessa look to be about the same size. That is, until—" She catches herself before mentioning the unfortunate Miss Tessa's expanding waistline.

She flings the closet doors open and I stifle a gasp, my eyes widening at the sight of countless colours and fabrics. My fingers drop from the bookshelf and I feel my legs pulling me toward the closet. It is large enough for both Sera and I to stand in comfortably and is lined with polished wooden drawers and more gowns than I can count.

"Perhaps this?" Sera pulls down a violet shift.

I run my hand across the material, the silky texture sliding pleasantly between my fingers.

"It would go beautifully with these." She drapes the garment over her arm and pulls out a drawer beneath the racks of dresses. In it rests an assortment of jewellery, the various crystals and metals sparkling. Sera draws out a necklace of hammered silver and displays it to me, resting it against the violet colour of the dress.

It takes me a moment to remember to speak, only doing so when Sera clears her throat timidly.

"I..." I swallow, forcing an impassive expression. "That will do just fine."

My handmaid nods, tossing the garment over her shoulder and ushering me toward the vanity. "Let's get you dressed."

Half an hour later, I am pacing nervously. Sera hovers nearby, trying to make herself look busy by unnecessarily straightening the items on the desk.