10. Barty Crouch, Jr.

Start from the beginning

"Say no more," said Harry. "We all understand."

"Anyway, since we actually talked about the ingredients, I realized that we've worked with most of them in Herbology, and the few we haven't studied are in the next few chapters of the book."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾

It was the next day that Harry finally saw a new face at the head table. It was a fairly attractive middle-aged woman with black curly hair that went just past her shoulders. She had blue eyes and brown skin and was wearing light purple robes. Professor Dumbledore stood up to make an announcement.

"Good morning, everyone. I'd like to introduce our new Potions Mistress - Felicity Brewster. As Professor Brewster is a Gryffindor Alumni, Professor Vector will continue on as the Head of Slytherin." The Gryffindors were cheering loudly while everyone else was politely clapping. Draco looked like Christmas had been cancelled for the year.

A few minutes after the announcement, Harry received an owl that left a letter that read:

Dear Mr. Potter,

Headmaster Dumbledore has asked me to oversee the detention he assigned you during your meeting with him last week. Please report to my office after dinner tonight to serve it.

Professor McGonagall

"What do you think she'll have you do?" asked Hermione when she read the note.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know, but I doubt it'll be terrible. She still feels bad about the last detention she gave me and knows about the two detentions I had to serve for allowing Snape to pour that potion on me."

"She did specify that she was only giving you a detention at all because the headmaster told her to," commented Neville, who was sitting across from them.

"True," agreed Hermione, who looked at Harry. "I don't think you'll have anything to worry about."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾

That night, Harry found himself warmly welcomed into Professor McGonagall's office after supper.

"Good evening, Harry," she said before closing the door and performing a few privacy charms.

"Good evening, Professor," he replied.

"Have a seat." As he sat down, he noticed that the memory sphere he'd given her was still in a place of prominence.

McGonagall sat down at her desk. "Mr. Potter, firstly, I'd like to thank you for pushing to improve this school - specifically the way Potions class was handled. Mr. Snape was an embarrassment to have as a colleague, and was slowly eroding Hogwarts' reputation as the finest magical institution in Europe. I wish that we hadn't needed to go to the press, using your celebrity status, but since the headmaster refused to listen to anybody regarding Mr. Snape, I know we did the right thing. At this moment, the Headmaster is unaware of the fact that I helped you prepare your press package, and I would like to keep it that way." Harry nodded with a grin and she continued.

"I'm also aware that in the short month you've been here, you have already served a number of unfair detentions, and know that Mr. Malfoy has managed to avoid the detentions assigned to him by Mr. Snape. I hope that you haven't already developed a hatred for Hogwarts."

He chuckled a bit. "No, I haven't. Hogwarts just needed a house-cleaning." He then looked thoughtful. "I wonder if anything can be done about Binns. No one ever learns anything in his class, either."

"Professor Binns has been teaching at Hogwarts for longer than any other staff member, and has no record of bullying or otherwise harassing students. It would be rather difficult to get him sacked solely because his lectures are less than captivating."