Chapter 20

I knew something was wrong when no one would answer their phones. Derek was the first one to not answer his phone. He's still not pleased with the whole idea that I went on a 'date' with Stiles. The only thing Stiles did was pick me up from my house to make it look real. After that, he drove me to Derek's, where Stiles was greeted with deathly glares that even frightened me a little.

I called Stiles next, figuring that Derek took Scott on another lesson on How To Be A Werewolf 101. Stiles was the best to call because Scott seems to always have a broken phone. Stiles didn't answer, though.

Scott was next, just in case he actually did have a working phone. To no surprise, he didn't answer.

Curiosity got the best of me and that's how I ended up in the school parking lot, where Derek's black Camaro and Stiles' blue Jeep is parked about seventy feet away. Allison failed to remember to put gas in the car the last time she drove, which left me to count on my running to follow Scott and Stiles. Thankfully, they didn't go too far.

I lean up against a tree, slightly out of breath and desperately wishing I had some water. The guys are too far away for me to overhear their conversation.

For them to be in the school parking late at night, gives me plenty of reasons for why this is not a good meet up. To be truthful, I'm not quite sure why I followed them. Something just felt off and I almost came here with my bow, but changed my mind last minute.

Scott and Stiles walk up to the front of the school. A pair of bolt cutters catch my eye in the moonlight. Are those idiots seriously about to break into the school? Derek stays by his car.

I wait until the two idiots disappear in the school before leaving my hiding spot to approach Derek. "What's going on?"

Derek slightly jumps, clearly not paying close enough attention to his surroundings like he usually does. "Clara?"

"Derek." I keep an edge to my voice.

He steps away from his car, eyes full of worry. "What are you doing here? You need to leave." He grabs my arm.

I yank my arm out of his grasp. "Derek, what are you doing here? Why did they break into the school?"

"Clara, you need to leave." Derek seems determined to get me out of here.

"No." I stubbornly shake my head. "Tell me what's going on."

Derek grabs my upper arms, gently. "Clara, go home. It's not safe here."

"Derek-"

A terrible yowling comes from the school speakers and I nearly jump into Derek's arms, surprised by the noise. What was that? It sounded like a cat being run over.

Derek rolls his eyes. "You've got to be kidding me."

My eyes widen. "Was that Scott?"

"Clara, please, just go home." Derek turns his attention back to me. "I'll talk to you once all of this is done."

"Why is Scott howling in the school? Derek, I'm serious. What the hell is going on?" I stare up at his face.

"Scott's trying to call the Alpha."

My body stiffens a little. "What? Why?"

"Clara-"

"Why?" I demand.

"I think it's his boss, Deaton. He's trying to prove me wrong." Derek sighs.

I open my mouth to say something, but a loud, deafening howl echoes throughout the school parking lot. I yelp in fear, grasping on to Derek. Was that Scott?! He sounded terrifying. Or was that the Alpha?