Chapter 1

**Girl in picture is Nicole**

__ Nicole's POV __

It was the last week of summer and I was chillin' with my boyfriend of two weeks, Nate. Even though we've only been dating for a short time, I feel like he might be the one. Sure I've said this MILLIONS of times about all my other past boyfriends, but this relationship just feels right...

We're at the park having lunch, sitting at a picnic table. I'm leaning my head on his shoulder.

NICOLE: "That lunch was good, baby."

NATE: "Thank you, sweets."

NICOLE: "Except the ham sandwich was dry, I mean have you heard of mustard and mayo?! Dang!" (makes a stank face)

NATE: "Well, dang. I thought you didn't like anything on your sandwich?"

NICOLE: "That was a week ago. (rolls eyes) Anyway, what's for dessert?"

NATE: "Umm, you?"

NICOLE: "Haha, very funny. But really, what did you make me?" (sits up in anticipation)

NATE: "Um, I actually didn't make any dessert."

NICOLE: "Ohh... okay fine." (folds arms)

NATE: (confused) "Uh, so I got a surprise for you."

NICOLE: (happy) "Really?! What is it, boo?"

NATE: "Well, close your eyes..."

NICOLE: (closes eyes)

NATE: "Now open them!"

NICOLE: (opens eyes) "OH! It's... what is it?"

NATE: "It's a gift card to Sears!"

NICOLE: "A gift card to Sears? Does it look like I shop at Sears?!"

NATE: "I thought it would be nice--"

NICOLE: (yells) "You are really stupid! Ya know, I thought we had a connection, but you don't know anything about treating a girl right. YOU'RE STUPID! I don't want no dang gift card from some wannabe salvation army store! What about a ring, or a gold necklace, or some make-up?!"

NATE: "Look, I gave you a gift and it's the thought that counts. If you're not happy then... maybe I should bounce."

NICOLE: "Then go, stupid!"

NATE: "You... are a crazy witch. We're done, Nicole." (shakes head and leaves)

NICOLE: "FINE! And take your cheap gift card, too!" (throws it at him)

I can't believe Nate just broke up with me! He's the crazy one. Doesn't he know that I love him, I mean loved him?! UGGHHHHHH!!! 

I was sitting all alone at the park table, then suddenly I felt tears rolling down my cheeks...

__ Reese's POV __

My best friend Nicole came over my house crying! She said her boyfriend had just broken up with her; I'm not surprised though. This always happens with her. I keep telling her stop being so easy AND ON TOP OF THAT she's sooo dramatic...

REESE: "It's okay, stop crying..."

NICOLE: (crying) "I loved him so much!"

REESE: "No - you thought you loved him, girl."

NICOLE: "Why does this always happen to me?!"

REESE: "You have to love yourself before you let anyone else love you."

NICOLE: "But I do!"

REESE: "Look... love isn't about material things -- like purses, clothes, or jewelry. It's about respecting one another, listening to one another... do you understand?"

NICOLE: "Yeah, but... what if I like jewelry and big gifts?" (sniffles)

REESE: "Well, you better date a basketball player to get all that big stuff. Shoot at least they got the money." (laughs)

NICOLE: (laughs) "I love you, girl..."

REESE: "I love your crazy butt, too. I hope you take my advice and make better decisions though."

NICOLE: "Yeah, whatever."

I heard a knock on my door. Then my older sister Raven walked into the room.

RAVEN: "Hey! I thought I heard some crying in here..."

NICOLE: "Hi, Raven. It was just me..."

RAVEN: "Guy problems, again?"

REESE: (rolls eyes) "YESS!! HELP ME!!"

RAVEN: (laughs) "Well, maybe some shopping might help. I was heading to the mall, you guys wanna come?"

NICOLE: "It might get my mind off Nate... okay."

REESE: "Yeah, let's go!"

RAVEN: "Alright then, we can leave after we have some dinner that I cooked. You wanna stay over, Nicole?"

NICOLE: "Sure, my mom wouldn't mind."

RAVEN: "Alright." (smiles)

__ Nicole's POV __

My mom, Mrs. Houston, works as a sales clerk at WalMart. It was pretty rough when I was younger... my mom had me when SHE was 19. Her boyfriend (supposedly my dad) had slept with her, and as soon as he found out she was pregnant he ran. So when I was a baby, my mom lived with her mom until I was older, then we moved into a small house which we live in now. 

Mom has been through a lot of boyfriends as well, which probably explains my relationship problems. Sometimes she's not always there for me -- she's at parties, at work, with her friends, or with countless boyfriends -- but I know she loves me.