Book 1 • Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

He stopped typing again and glanced at me, and I knew that I almost had him.

"Imagine the guilt that you'd feel. It would weigh on your soul for all eternity." I emphasized, needing to reel him in. "Who would be your best friend then? You can't just abandon me to fate."

"You are correct. I would feel very bad if an angry ghost killed you." Finn agreed as he pushed up his glasses, and I began to mentally cheer before his next statement cut off any hopes of victory. "But I have nothing to be worried about. If ghosts and demons existed at all, then it certainly wouldn't be a harmless poltergeist that killed you anyway. Not with the kind of trouble you attract. You need to relax."

Poop. My heart fell.

Some best friend.

I glared at my cup of coffee while Finn nonchalantly returned to his homework.

Of course, I had homework too. But unlike Finn, who was a hot nerd in all the possible ways that hot nerds could be, I didn't fancy doing my entire semester's worth in the first month of the semester.

Sometimes I wondered how two different people could be so close.

Finn and I had been best friends since middle school, and eventually we decided on the same university. We were freshmen this year, so we were required to live on campus per our school's policy. However, our friendship was true and strong and we refused to let the gender dichotomy separate us even though we couldn't share a dorm.

And so we had a routine.

Every night we met at the library cafe to catch up and do our homework together. Due to his hectic schedule, it was also the only time that I could see my long time crush/best friend.

It was almost like we were secret lovers or something.

Although, of course, Finn could never know how I felt. Unlike him, I wasn't very intelligent, or assertive, or just very memorable in general. In fact, the only reason I had come to college at all was because he had asked me to come with him, and I just couldn't say no.

I found my classes to be easy enough, but Finn was super smart and very advanced. He was already taking classes towards his degree in electrical engineering, while I was still focusing on the early sciences needed for a botany major.

I didn't hold his intelligence against him, but sometimes I wished that he could have taken general sciences with me so we could be together more. At this rate I would be left behind...

But then again, I didn't want to hold him back. My only hope would be that he might notice me after we get our place together. The school allowed sophomores to move off campus ad we had already decided to rent together next year.

I just hoped that in the meantime he wouldn't find another girl nerd to fall for, because that would really suck.

In any case, we had both been picking up odd jobs here and there in order to save money. Or at least, I had been. Finn was very rich, or something, and even had already offered to pay for our place.

Which brought me to my current dilemma, because I was currently house sitting for one of the elderly biology professors and her husband, and I just knew that I had stumbled upon an angry spirit bent on death and destruction.

And I happened to be the target of said destruction.

"Finn," I had to tell him everything, if he wouldn't help me then I had no one else. "Listen to me. Last night I woke up and I couldn't move or talk! I think the spirit was trying to suffocate me, please believe me."