Chapter 10

His eyes drifted down and for the first time in his life since meeting Annemaria, he felt completely lost and alone. He couldn't imagine going back to his tent without her presence next to his. How could he live without an essential part of his soul and heart?

"Clopin!" a voice cried out.

The gypsy king's eyes snapped open and he turned around frantically, trying to find the source of the sound. It came again and he started shoving people out of his way, desperate to find the owner. Suddenly, he stopped, utterly still. His eyes were fixed on a pair of red ones, ones that were as red as rubies. He sprinted towards the form as she did the same. When they met, he picked her up and spun around, clutching her body closely. The crowd had parted and some were watching the tearful reunion. Clopin slowed down placed the woman down on the ground but there was still no distance between them.

Cupping the pale cheeks, he asked shakily, as if he didn't believe his senses, "Annemaria? Are you an angel?"

Annemaria shook her head, her cheeks stained with happy tears. "Non mon amour. I am no more an angel than what you call me."

Gasping at her response, he kissed her passionately, reaffirming his bond with her in front of everyone. Esmeralda, Phoebus, and Quasimodo were part of the audience and all three smiled largely at their embrace. The couple had no regard for the eyes watching, and Clopin kissed his love deeply. Their long and intimate embrace caused some parents' to shield their children's eyes. Finally, their lips were separated and both participants were panting lightly. Keeping an arm firmly around her waist, he began to sing. Annemaria looked at him, smiling, and added her voice to the harmony.

"So here is a riddle to guess if you can sing the bells of Notre Dame.

What makes a monster and what makes a man?

Whatever their pitch you can feel them bewitch you.

The rich and the ritual knells of the bells of Notre Dame!"

Later that day, the happy couple went back to the Court of Miracles, though the place was empty and silent. He led her to his tent, which had managed to survive Frollo's assault on the place. Smiling, he offered his lover his hand to which she accepted it with a giggle. He caught her off guard when he pulled her tightly to his chest.

"Mon ange, mon amour, mon sauveur," he whispered into her neck.

He backed away and she looked at him curiously. Taking both of her hands and placing the lightest of kisses on her knuckles, he straightened and looked straight into her eyes.

"Annemaria, what happened? I..." he gulped, "heard you scream. I feared that the worst had happened, that they had killed your or... or... stole your innocence."

The red-eyed beauty kissed her love's hands back and responded, "You needn't worry. I screamed when they grabbed on to me, but I kicked one of them and used knife on the ground to hurt the other. They were distracted long enough for me to run and escape through the back entrance."

"Annemaria," Clopin said after taking a minute to digest her story, "I love you with all my soul and heart. When I met you ten years ago, I would never imagine that those red eyes would enrapture me and that your snow hair would comfort me in my darkest hours. But, you have now become my life, my solace when the light is hidden. Please, Annemaria, marry me. Allow me to stay with the only angel on Earth till I leave."

The white-haired woman's breath hitched in her throat. She moved closer to him and cupped his cheeks as he so often did to her.

"Oh Clopin, I will love you even beyond death."

They kissed passionately again. While lust was a component, love was the primary factor behind the action. The couple fell back upon the cushions, caught up in each other's limbs. That night they became physical lovers, conjoining their live together forever.