Chapter 1

Just to give some background information, Esmeralda is about 21, whereas Annemaria (my OC) is 20. Clopin is 25 and Phoebus is 26, but Quasimodo is 18. Frollo is in his 50's. Clopin is younger in my story than in the movie 'cause why not? And, to me, Quasimodo just seems younger than all of them. 

"Morning in Paris, the city awakes to the bells of Notre Dame," a singing french voice rang out.

"The fisherman fishes, the bakerman bakes to the bells of Notre Dame," a female's voice joined in.

"To the big bells as loud as the thunder."

"The the little bells soft as a psalm."

"And some say the soul of the city's the toll of the bells," the two voices sang in harmony. "The bells of Notre Dame."

Five young children walked up to a beautifully colorful and brightly decorated wagon. Occupying the wagon was a man with hair as black as pitch and skin a light brown. His singular gold earring glittered in the Parisian sun. The jester's outfit matched the wagon's eccentricity. The man was clearly distinguishable as a gypsy. However, next to him stood a woman who laid on the opposite side of the spectrum. Her hair was as pale and as white as freshly fallen snow and her skin was only a few shades darker. Her eyes glittered like the reddest of rubies. Her gown was a soft red, like a sunrise's first color, and had a white shirt underneath that hung off her shoulders. The children stared in awe at the strange couple, however, not in prejudice for their minds were pure and uncorrupted.

The gypsy man introduced himself as Clopin, a storyteller. And a storyteller he was indeed; he immediately began expressing the story of the bell ringer, Quasimodo, with the aid of his puppet. The woman, Annemaria, added details here and there, her voice sounding like angels themselves.

"Who is the monster and who is the man?" their voices joined in sync. Just as they were finishing, said bells started ringing, their glorious and regal sounds echoing throughout the city. While Clopin concluded his story, Annemaria stared up at the bell towers with her eyes closed, listening to the pure noise. She was so lost in thought that she only opened her eyes and came back to the earth when an arm reached around her stomach, pulling her back into a chest. She chuckled at Clopin who whispered in her ear.

"It is time for you to sing, no?"

"Oui, monsieur," she replied. Walking to the front of the wagon, she gave a motherly smile at the children. They gaped at her, no doubted shocked by her unusual appearance. Annemaria had grown used to the ogling long before her current age, so she minded not the innocent curiosity displayed by the children.

"J'en vois des qui se donnent

Donnent des bijoux dans le cou

C'est beau mais quand même

Ce ne sont que des cailloux

Des pierres qui vous roulent

Roulent et qui vous coulent sur les joues

J'aime mieux que tu m'aimes

Sans dépenser des sous

Moi je m'en moque

J'envoie valser

Les trucs en toc

Les cages dorées

Toi quand tu me serres très fort

C'est comme un trésor

Et ça, et ça vaut de l'or

J'en vois des qui se lancent

Des regards et des fleurs

Puis qui se laissent

Quelque part ou ailleurs

Entre les roses et les choux

J'en connais des tas

Qui feraient mieux de s'aimer un peu

Un peu comme nous

Qui nous aimons beaucoup

Et d'envoyer

Ailleurs valser

Les bagues et les cœurs en collier

Car quand on s'aime très fort

C'est comme un trésor

Et ça, et ça vaut de l'or

Moi pour toujours

J'envoie valser

Les preuves d'amour

En or plaqué

Puisque tu me serres très fort

C'est là mon trésor

C'est toi, toi qui vaut de l'or." (Zazie- "J'Envoie Valser")

After Annemaria finished singing, the children clapped and smiled at her. She gave a small little bow to them and they giggled even more. However, one by one they were called away by their parents, who eyed the couple cautiously. Annemaria's smile slowly faded as people glared hatefully and distrustfully at them. Clopin wrapped his arms around her, his facial hard tickling her neck. After placing a light kiss on her neck, he laid his head on her shoulder. They stayed like that for a minute or two before Annemaria slowly pulled away.

"Don't you have a Festival of Fools to be preparing for, my King?"

Clopin smiled at the use of his title.

"You're right mon ange. Shall we check up on Esmerelda and the others?"

She nodded and he jokingly offered his arm, to which she lightly rested her own on top of it. Together, they walked to the group of vibrant tents that littered the main square in Paris.