ll . s i x (a) • the spy

Start from the beginning

"He must be farther down there. I'll stay up here in case he tries to escape." Dustin stated with a worried tone, earning a glare from Steve and I. Steve stood back up and looked over to me.

"You coming?" He asked holding out his hand

"Yeah, okay. But if I see Dart, and if he comes running at us, I'm going to run faster than I ever have, and if I trip there is no 'save yourself' bullshit, you will help me, I swear to God." I told him strictly, grabbing his hand tightly.

"Of course." He told me right before him and I took the first step down the stone, cold cellar steps. I held the flashlight in my free hand, as Steve held the bat in his.

When we made our way down the steps, I began frantically moving the flashlight all around the cellar hoping that if Dart came at us, I would at least see him first. It was quiet the whole way down and further, the only thing you could hear was our deep breathing that we both tried to quiet down. When we got to the middle of the cellar, Steve had turned on the ceiling light, but I kept the flashlight on and pointing at any parts of the cellar the lightbulb didn't light. When I turned my head back to Steve, he was holding up a bunch of peeled, wet, green slimy skin, just like what was in the tank Dustin kept Dart in.

"Steve look" I told him, using the flashlight to point at the giant hole in the wall that had been dug out. We both had glanced towards it, scared that Dart had been running free for however long.

"Steve? Hazel?" Dustin called from the outside of the cellar. Neither of us answered him back, as we were to busy from shock of the hole Dart had dug out of the cellar wall.

"What's going on down there?" Dustin called again, I reluctantly let go of Steves hand, to walk to the bottom of the steps to get Dustins attention

"Get down here." I called up to him strictly, shining the light towards his face, which scared him. He slowly made his way down the steps but once he got closer he finished the last fee quickly. Steve held up the skin on the end of his bat, and I continued shining the light onto the slimy shedding.

"Oh, shit." Dustin said upset

"That's not all." I responded, aiming the flashlight towards the hole we had noticed earlier.

"Oh, shit!" Dustin repeated only louder. All three of us walked towards the hole and bent down to look how far it went and how far we could see.

"No way. No way." He repeated his word choice, once again.

"How are we going to find him? He isn't a little frog creature anymore lost in a school, he is huge monster lost in any part of Hawkins!" I stated, knowing there wouldn't be a definite answer to my worried questions.

"We can set a trap in the morning. You know, just like what we did with the bologna, but with more and something better than bologna." Dustin responded with his idea

"So, literally any other meat, ever?" I ask sarcastically. We all agree that in the morning, we will set up all the meat in a trail on the railroad tracks, and try to get Dart again.

Most of the night and early morning was spent getting the meat and chopping it up. The only sleep we got was when we took turns in the vehicle. Before we started anything else in the morning, we went to pick up my car from the wheelers house, and brought it back to ours. Dustin decided to just leave his bike, because he didn't feel the need to grab it yet when we had a vehicle now. It was later in the morning when the three of us began driving to the open space that lead to the tracks. Dustin had fallen asleep again in the backseat, while Steve and I sat awake.

"What were you doing at Nancys house?" I asked quietly, already knowing the answer but wanting to be sure.

"Uh-um, I was gonna apologize. But now I realize it was stupid because I didn't do anything wrong, and I get that now." He responded quietly as well, trying not to wake up Dustin. I didn't answer him back because I didn't know what to say, and frankly didn't even have anything to say.