ll . t h r e e • the pollywog

Start from the beginning

"Pets need to have names, Hazel." Dustin told me defensively

"Please tell me you're not naming it. Or keeping it" I asked him sighing when I notice him look at his chocolate bar.

"d'Artagnan. I'm gonna call you d'Artagnan." He told the creature

"Dustin, no. You can't name this thing. You don't even know what it is. It could be dangerous." I told him as he ran over to his books and pulled out a bunch on reptiles, he sat down on his bed and began to read and eat his candy, ignoring me.

"Whatever. Don't let that thing near me" was the last thing I told him before I left his room to go into mine. When I opened my door, Steve was still asleep. I went and to lay down in my bed and continue watching what was left of The Shining. I had been sitting there for 20 minutes when my eyes started to get tired and close.

When I woke up the next day around 7 am for school, Steve was no longer in my bed, and there was a note left on my night stand.

Thank you for helping me last night. I decided to leave before your mom or dustin woke up, see you at school.

I set the note back on my night stand and got up to brush my teeth and clean my room. When I was done cleaning all the candy wrappers, it was almost 8 so I got ready for school. When I ran downstairs I noticed my mom was gone and Dusty. I just got my stuff and headed to my car for school. I had Math first thing with Mr Johnson and it was terrible, as it always is. The bell rang and I went to my locker to puts my books away.

"Hey Hazel!" I heard someone call out, I turned to the left and saw Steve in his gym clothes walking towards me.

"Hey Steve, what's up?" I asked him putting my last book in my locker before shutting it.

"I have basketball next, I was wondering since you have a spare, if you wanted to come watch" he asked leaning against the locker beside mine.

"Yeah, of course. Beats sitting in the library doing math." I told him smiling as we made our way to the gym.

I sat on the stands watching as they got the teams ready for basketball, Steve was on the opposite team of Billy, who along with 2 other players were shirtless. Steve was dribbling the ball towards Billy and turned his back to him continuing to dribble. I could see that they were talking but I couldn't hear them, Billy them took the ball from Steve causing Steve to fall. I move in my seat to see if Steve got up, which he did and Billy earned a point for his team.

"That's what I'm talking about! Whoo!" Someone on Billys team yelled as the ball went through the net and bounced on the gym floor.

"Steve?" I looked over and saw Nancy had walked into the gym, I looked back to Steve and he looked at me quickly before going outside with Nancy. I was sitting there continuing to watch the basketball game when one of the players came up to me.

"Hey, you need to get Steve to come back in here!" He yelled, out of breath and sweaty

"What, no, why me. Why can't you do it?" I asked him leaning down towards him

"I'm busy playing the game." He told me as he wiped his sweaty forehead with his arm and walked back into the game

"Ridiculous" I mumbled before jumping down from the stands and making my way outside. When I got outside I couldn't see Steve or Nancy so I continued to walk farther, I heard talking between the two buildings so I looked over and saw Nancy and Steve standing there.

"Steve. They need you in there" I called to him when Nancy and him stopped talking

"All right!" He yelled at me. I stood there wide eyed at his tone, he said one last thing to Nancy and started walking towards the gym.

"I think you're bullshit" he said angrily to her as he walked past me. I looked up to see Nancy already walking in the opposite direction. I get back in the gym to finish watching the game. Billy continued taunting Steve the whole game, Steve ignored him most of the time. By the end of the game Steve was sitting at the bench changing his shoes.

"You okay?" I ask walking over to him and sitting down.

"I'm fine" he told me forcefully pulling off his shoe, putting his other ones on.

"I know you're not fine. What did she say"

"I told her what happened, and she still couldn't tell me she loved me." Steve told me staring at the gym floor

"I'm sorry Steve. But this might be for the best" I told him, sounding more like a question, causing him to look up to me.

"Yeah and how is that"

"Well now you can find someone who really loves you. Someone who cares about your feelings more than their own, someone who would drop everything just to be with you. Because you deserve that Steve." I said looking at him, as he looked up at me. We sat there silently again, and before anything was said the gym door was pushed open with kids running through the gym, making us break eye contact to watch as the kids ran, as the bell rang. I could tell you I didn't feel anything for Steve, but that would be a lie. I don't know when it happened but I guess its always been there, and hanging out with him for the past few weeks have been the highlight of my days.

"I... Uh, should go to class" I said standing up, adjusting my bag in my shoulder

"Yeah me too. I need to change." Steve responded standing up as well

"See you later" He told me smiling, I just smiled and waved in response and made my way to my next class. When I was walking to my fourth period class, I was about to pass Mr Clarkes room when Mike, Lucas, Will, Max, and Dustin all ran out of his class cutting me off.

"Dustin where are you going?" I yelled to him

"Gotta go talk to you later!" He yelled back as he continued to run with his friends through the hallway. I ignored my brother and went on to my next period class.

In class I noticed Nancys seat was empty, and she didn't show up all class. When the bell rang, everyone ran out of the classroom  to go home, I was usually the last one to leave. When I got out into the hallway I was making my way outside when I saw Will running through the field, when I was about to follow him to see what he was running from, I saw Lucas, Max and Mike all running into the bathroom by Salernos room.

Deciding to run out to Will because, if those three were together than Will was alone. Opening the door, I saw Will frozen in the field and as I started running towards him I heard Mike calling Wills name behind me. Mike ran and caught up to me and we both stood trying to wake Will up from whatever trance he was in.

"Hey! Will! Come on buddy, wake up" I called, lightly shaking him hoping he would open his eyes, but he didn't, and that's when the rest of the kids and Joyce ran outside towards us.

——————————————

episode 3 :)) I honestly love Will and I would give me life for him to be happy. Something is going on between Steve and Hazel, but they don't know what to do, how fun ! Thank you for reading :)