“Well hi there boyfriend,” Dylan said mockingly when Simon was so close he was almost on Dylan’s lap. “How… cozy this is.”

“I still can’t believe you pretended to be gay for me,” Eros laughed.

Even though he was on the other side of the car and his aura was perfectly controlled and smooth like usual, I could still feel a darkness emanating from Dylan. It chilled me to the core, yet there was also something in there that felt a lot like the red streaks I sometimes saw in auras.

All thoughts of Dylan’s weird energy were pushed aside when some idiot on a mountain bike almost ended up underneath my car when he shot out of the Paddy Creek Wilderness and onto the windy road we were on. I focused on my driving from that moment on, while Eros have me pointers and complimented me frequently. He really was one heck of a boyfriend.

***

When we got to Warrensburg, I started by dropping off Antwan at Greg’s. The original plan had been to find Ryker first, then go have lunch with my mother and end at Greg’s place, but Antwan and my other friends coming with had changed everything.

Will’s black Jaguar pulled up next to our car and Sam, Paulie and Minnie got out immediately, rushing over to me. I looked at the car they’d come rolling out of in disgust. I’d thought my car was bad, but his had so many cratches there was barely any paint left.

“Don’t hate Barney,” Will warned when he caught me eyeing his vehicle. “He’s the most dependable car a guy could ever wish for.”

“You named your car?” I asked with a smile.

“Please don’t tell me you’re gonna bond over that,” Dylan called from my car. He’d rolled down his window and stuck his head out, an irritated frown on his face. “At least Barney is better than Puky.”

Before Will could ask me about that weird name, Anne and Greg came rushing out of the house, running over to me and pulling me into a hug.

“You’re early!” Anne said happily when she’d finally let me go.

“Don’t get too excited yet,” I warned. “I still need to go have lunch with my mom and take care of some things. I came by to drop off these idiots…” I gestured behind me at my friends from school.

“Nice,” Greg said, high-fiving Paulie. “Come on in guys, I’ve got enough snacks to feed a village.”

I said goodbye to my friends and promised them I’d be back in a couple of hours. It felt weird that Sam, Paulie, Minnie, Antwan and Will were all piling into Greg’s basement with Anne and Greg himself while I drove off to chase after some cue about my dad. I should be in there with them, playing Guitar Hero, drinking, eating, laughing.

“We’ll be quick,” Eros told me, patting my knee when I scooted back into the driver’s seat.

“Yeah, that’s Eros’ motto for everything,” Dylan taunted. “So be warned.”

Simon actually laughed at that, which got him a disapproving look from me. Still, the casual bantering helped take my mind off the nerves that were rushing though my body. Both Eros and Simon took some of it from me, but it felt like there was still enough worry left in me to take down an elephant.

***

“I swear we need to go left,” Simon said from behind me. “Just take the next turn.”