Chapter 3

I knew I promised an update on Friday and I am a day too late... I was sick yesterday, but I had to go to work and stuff anyway, so when I came come I was exhausted and totally spaced about putting a chapter on here. I am SO sorry, hope you guys can all forgive me...

------

“That was surprisingly delicious,” I decided when I had stuffed the last pieces of tofu in my mouth.

“Dylan is a very good cook,” my mother agreed with a fond smile. It was creepy how chummy those two were.

He grinned and wiped his mouth with a napkin. “I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Barf,” I commented, pretending to vomit. “If I wasn’t chockfull already, I would lose my appetite for sure.”

“How about Dem and I do the dishes?” Eros offered. “Since you two did all the cooking.”

My mother immediately shook her head. “Nonsense – you are our guests. Dem and I will do the dishes.”

I grunted. “Is there a scenario possible where I’m not involved in helping?”

“Lazy-ass,” Eros teased, kicking me underneath the table. He was sitting opposite me with my mother and Dylan was next to me.

I rolled my eyes. “It’s called being normal. You should try it.”

“You? Normal?” Dylan asked mockingly. “Don’t make me laugh.”

Mom got up and took some plates off the table. “How about we all do the dishes together?”

And that was how it happened that my mother, Dylan, Eros and I were all crammed together in the small kitchen, handing plates, knifes and pans to each other. At the end of the spectacle, everything was clean and dry, except for me. Eros had held a dripping plate over me, letting the water droop down on my head. Dylan had found that so funny that he’d started throwing water at me until my mother told us all to stop being so childish.

“I guess it’s time to leave now,” Dylan said when we went back to the living room. “We have a long drive ahead of us.”

“It’s only an hour,” Eros countered. “But you’re right, we should get going. Dem, can I talk to you before we leave?”

“Sure,” I replied, opening the door to my bedroom. “Let’s step in here for a minute.”

My mother threw me a warning look. “No funky business in my house,” she said.

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah sure, we’re going to have sex with the two of you next door. Besides, you’re too old to use the word funky, mom.”

Eros and I went into the room then, and he closed the door behind him carefully. The moment our eyes locked, I knew he was still mad. During dinner his mood had improved much and he had joked and laughed. But I could feel the cold radiating from him now, see the hurt in his eyes. Crap – I really did not want us to part like this. It has been more than amazing to see him today and I wanted to keep that feeling with me the next week, not the image of his angry face and the sensation of his bitterness.

“You should have told me sooner,” Eros said, taking out the letter and turning it over in his hands.

“I know,” I agreed without delay. “I know it’s no excuse, but I just panicked. And with all the other things going on… the hearing, my bloodlust, things with Simon…”

“How are things with Simon?” he asked, genuinely interested.

“Fine, I guess.” I sighed deeply. “He has been seeing a lot of Amy lately. Turns out she lives in Bellville, which is very close to St. Louis where Simon lives.”