Deadly Temptation (23)

Start from the beginning

"I was asking if you were okay?"

"Oh... yeah I'm fine."

Deep down, she was slightly relieved and angry at the same time. Her pent up guilt was slowly releasing and she breathed a little easier but she was also mad at Henry for doing this to her. After everything she told him and all that bullshit about him being torn between loving her and loving his job. She felt betrayed in a sense. Despite her lack of feelings towards him, he was supposed to be the perfect boyfriend.

—but he wasn't the perfect one for her and she wasn't the perfect one for him.

"What are you gonna do?"

"I think I'll beat Harvey to the punch and release a statement today." A small smirk formed on her lips.

________________________

Beads of sweat rolled down his back as the pelting hot Las Vegas sun showed him no mercy. Dressed in a ridiculous three piece suit, Keith was beginning to rethink this whole business man attire and switch to Linen pants and dress shirts alone. He wore a hard hat and a dust mask today as the casino's construction went underway.

The plot of land was essentially bare but over the last few days, things had picked up and now the ball began to roll. The foundation was dug out, the steel structure had been molded into place and now workmen were busy mixing the cement in order to start filling out the structure. Today was a good day.

"Hey boss!" Donald yelled over the noise as he approached Keith. "I got word on that house you mentioned."

"What did they say?" He replied while scribbling down notes on his clipboard.

"You have the first preference if you want it."

He stopped writing and looked up at Donald through his sunglasses with a smile. "That is just perfect. Call them back and let them know I want it. Today."

"Right away, boss."

A few hours later, Keith signed the papers for the house and stood in the middle of the empty kitchen with his hands in his pockets. Things were falling into place. It took weeks but things were finally going his way and he liked it.

Years of planning a revenge wasted away into nothing as soon as he saw Carter and his new wife a few weeks back. A new revenge plan had formed in his head and he liked this one better. Much better.

"Is there anything else I can do for you, Mr. Evans?" The real estate agent stood and adjusted her pencil skirt while gathering all her paperwork. "Maybe a moving service? Or maybe some interior decorating?" She subtly batted her eyelashes while pulling her skirt up just a little more.

"Actually, there is one more thing." He dazzled her with his smile. "I need you to inform someone of their new purchase. It's a gift, you see... the house. It's a gift and I would like it to remain a secret but I want the person moved in with no trouble whatsoever but you can't mention my name, do you understand?"

"Certainly," the agent replied with a tight lipped smile. "Wife?" She glanced down at the ring on his finger.

"No, no. You see, she's like a mother to me and I wanna repay her for putting up with me. Can you do that for me, sweetheart?"

Her smile returned full force, "of course Mr. Evans."

_________________________

"I've missed you," he whispered as he kissed her hair. "I was worried sick!"

"I know," Janessa sighed. "I just needed a little break and then now everything with Henry."