Chapter One

Sweetly Sexy

Chapter One

It was a weird twist of fate that ultimately brought them together. Liliana was just a young woman from a rich family who opened up a bakery in Los Angeles. Blake Griffin was the power forward for the Los Angeles Clippers, amidst the best season of his professional career. Who could have thought that a bump, a fall, and some chocolate chip cookies would be what brought them together?

~~~~~~

               It was a hot day in LA, and Ana was running late. Though, she didn’t know if she could technically be running late on a lunch break if she was the boss, but either way, she needed to get back to the bakery. She wore a pair of blue jean shorts that reached her knees and a breezy white shirt that allowed her skin to breathe a bit in the baking sun. At 5’9, she wasn’t a short girl, but she had a bit of a shoe thing—especially heels. Which explained the four inch brown wedge heels she was currently wearing as she power walked it down the sidewalk to her store.

               She was only about a hundred feet away when her phone buzzed in her pocket. Ana looked down as she pulled it out, swiping her finger across the screen as she brought it up to her ear. “Hello?” she asked, flipping her dark brown hair out of her face.

               “Ana, we’re out of éclairs. And you know I suck at those,” was the greeting from her assistant manager (and pain in the ass best friend) Ian. “When are you going to be back? You’ve been gone for over an hour.”

               “I’ll be there in literally thirty seconds,” Ana said, rolling her eyes behind her Ray Ban sunglasses. “And you’ll have to learn one of these days. Start another batch of chocolate chip cookies, and stop whining.”

               Ana was just looking down to hang up when she ran into a brick wall. Okay, it wasn’t a brick wall, but it was close enough. Ana banged into the chest of a very tall, very built man and bounced right back on her ass even as the man tried to catch her.

               “Oh man, I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” The low voice was worried, almost sheepish, and a hand appeared in front of Ana’s face. She took it as she looked up. The brick wall in front of her just happened to be Blake Griffin. Wasn’t this just great, Ana thought to herself, I ran into a superstar.

               “No, I’m sorry. It was my fault. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going.” Ana straightened up in front of him, swiping at her clothes to get anything that she might have picked up on the ground off her. “My name is Ana, by the way. Ana Michaels.”

               “I’m Blake, Blake Griffin. Look, are you sure you’re okay? You hit the ground pretty hard.” He looked legitimately concerned as he ducked his head slightly as if to get a better look at her face. This was a time when she wished she wore makeup other than mascara and a bit of eye shadow. A slight blush covered her cheeks. What did it matter if she was wearing makeup or not? It’s not like he would be interested in her. Not that she wanted him to be or anything. I mean, he was hot and sexy and athletic… “Ana?”

               Ana shook herself slightly and looked up at him, now his look of concern obvious in his dark brown eyes and the set of his jaw. He’d pushed his sunglasses up when he’d tried to study her face. “Oh, yes, I’m fine. I’ve got three older siblings and two little brothers. I’m used to getting roughed up a bit.”

               “Sounds like a full house.” He looked to his side, and Ana followed his gaze. They were right out front of her bakery, and Ian was not trying to hide his interest in what they were doing. When she caught his blue stare, he raised a dark eyebrow at her and she shooed him away. “My brother told me this place has the best chocolate chip cookies, even better than my mom’s, and I’ve got an extreme sweet tooth right now. Can I buy you coffee, to apologize?”