Chapter 1.5: Shield

The Blanks he saw last night weren’t in sight and Clyde exhales a breath as he helps his son and his people load up the RV down the road. Ian, Mandy, and Travis keep guard to make sure the others have no interruptions to and from the motel. How they managed to hijack one of the elite sized RVs is beyond Clyde’s wondering but he doesn’t question them; he just wants to get the hell out of dodge and fast. Connor mentions that they should hit up a few of the side stores for more clothes and if they can find it, food. His father nods and stares back off that the motel as the small group starts climbing into the RV. That stare burns into his mind and he finally notices movement in the window -next to their room. Blanks were just everywhere.

    “I remember when mom used to spray that awful spritz of apple and lemon around the house; smelled like toilet water with a cleaner,” Connor giggles as he and Mandy reminisce on the RV floor. Jack drives them down a highway that’s mostly clear of cars and Fran points out the different makes and models of each vehicle she can. Travis smokes a cigarette with Linda while Ian doodles on the table with pencil and Clyde just rests his head back against the cushion of his seat, thinking.

“Remember dad? Mom and that awful spray?” Connor nudges his foot and smiles at him.

“That spray was your mother’s pride, son. I do believe I saved a small bottle of it,” Clyde teases and watches his children’s face tense into disgust.

“Hey guys, we have a problem,” Jack calls back and Fran mumbles swears while she reaches for her bat. The highway is blocked off by a row of cars as if its main purpose was once a blockade. “Your call Connor and make it fast.”

“Let’s move ‘em over and out. All we can do,” Connor gazes at his father. “What do you think?”

    Travis, Fran, and Linda all guard the others as they examine the positions of each car and if they can for sure move them. Connor hops into the bed of one truck and pokes around the open window to see if he can shimmy himself inside. When he realizes there’s no way in Hell he can fit into the window, Connor whistles for Ian to walk over and try. The teen reluctantly slides half of his torso inside the window and manages to unlock the passenger side door for Connor. Ian slides out and pats the top of the truck as he takes a huff of air. Connor jingles the keys and laughs relieved when the truck starts rumbling awake; he rolls down the windows for some air and motions to Ian to join him inside.

“If we can move the Cadillac in front of us, I’m pretty sure we can move the truck out of the way and the RV will be able to pass through,” Connor thinks and opens his door, carefully exiting the truck and walking over to examine the 2004 Cadillac. A Blank stares at him through the back window but doesn’t budge or even snarl; just stares at him. “Dad, there’s one in back and she’s just sitting there.” Clyde quietly glances into the back of the car and sees the Blank twitch her head slightly as she watches his son stumble back towards the highway railing.

“Travis, get ready to open the door and when I count to three, pull her open and I’ll take her out, “ Clyde instructions his son-in-law and steadies his knife, ready to strike. Travis grips the handle and on Clyde’s mark, pulls the door open. The Blank snarls and tumbles out- in half. Her torso rolls on the ground and Travis decides to finish her by stomping his heel into her head. Partially gagging, Clyde removes the rest of the Blank from the car and rolls down the windows so his son can breathe while he moves the car. The car jostles and chokes, barely starting but when it does, Blanks stumble up the hills at the sides.

“Mandy, your left!” Clyde yells and starts taking out Blanks while the others help; Fran scurrying inside the RV. Mandy screams when one tries to overpower her and Travis runs to rescue his wife, jamming the edge of a crowbar through its head. There’s a shrill and Linda is on the ground, a Blank on her like a wild dog. Clyde rushes over but it’s too late; her neck has been gouged out. He kills the Blank but knows Linda is gone no matter what they.