Chapter 16

Quick important announcement.

So my school was just sent into lockdown at like 5:30 because someone was spotted with a gun. I wasn't there at the time as I'd just been picked up, but many of my friends were there. About 20 squad cars arrived on site and they surrounded our school. They were released from lockdown at around 6. Police reports say that it was 2 8th grade idiots that had airsoft guns and they were posing and posting pictures to social media. These two boys, whom I probably have classes with, caused us a lot of trouble and worry as one of my friends had an anxiety attack at some point in the middle of it.

Please stay safe. Keep others safe. Don't do stupid things like these guys did. Be smart.

Thanks for listening to me talk but this is a serious issue that actually happened.

onwards.

---------

Skating. Rollerblading. They're the same concept. If you can rollerblade you can skate. The movements are slightly different but it's all the same in the end. You use the same muscles, the feeling is the same, everything is the same afterward, the same muscles hurt as well.

I recently learned how to skate backwards. It's a lot like skating forwards you just have to be a bit more careful. In ice skating when going forward the best way to maintain balance is to skate with your weight to the middle-back of the skate whereas when going backwards it's best to skate on the middle-front part. It's all about stability, to be frank. In rollerblading the concept is pretty much exactly the same making it great practice for my lessons.

These are true facts. I'm not making this up. Tis how you skate.

❄❄❄❄❄

Here I am now. The sound the blades make as they hit the ice. kshhhhhhh. After all, skating is now my passion. I can't allow anything to stand in my way on my journey to the top. I'll get to the top no matter what it takes. No one will stand in my way on my journey to become the best I can be. Today is my chance to show Miss. Yuuko all of my improvement I've made. It's an assessment in a way. I've choreographed a short piece that covers all of the skills I've learned so far making it easier for her to assess. Smart huh? Not only does it save time, but now she only has to take one video for my skills assessment whereas she'd normally have to take like 20. Plus it saves on phone storage. That's super important too right?

I personally don't have a cell phone. I keep a small flip phone on me in the smallest pocket of my bags so that I can contact my parents if I need something or something goes wrong. It's a simple as that. No social media or games. Just simply the call and message feature.

Ah. The feeling of the skates as they slip onto your feet. I quickly laced up my skates, eager to get to the ice. Stepping onto the ice was always an exhilarating feel. The cold frosty air stinging your cheeks making them pink. Your breath creating little clouds of steam billowing before you. The gliding motion of the blades moving across the ice. The feeling of suspension and flying as you glide smoothly forward.

I get to the rink, maybe like, 25 minutes early so I can have time to work on things I struggle with so I can ask Miss. Yuuko about it when my lesson starts. I went over all of the different skills I'd learned. Ina bauers, spread eagles, cross-overs, short spins, short waltz jumps to mark where jumps are. Waltz jumps are simple hops to the backwards position where you do a short hop from one leg to the other. That sort of thing. "Hey, Victor!" Miss. Yuuko called. "I finished up a bit earlier than usual with my last lesson. Want to start now?" "Sure! Miss. Yuuko." I'd just finished my backwards crossover practice and I'd already gone through my 'program' once. I was going to run through it all once again as there's maybe like 10 minutes before my lesson should start. 'Well it's not like I have much more to do...' I thought as I skated over while mentally reviewing all the things that I wanted to cover.