[31] Epilogue

Jordan and I were finally completing our journalism project.

We sat in front of Jordan's camera at the breakfast table in Roger's and my apartment, which was stripped of all of our personal belongings. Roger had packed it all away while I stayed with Jordan in the hospital. Now, he was washing our dinner plates in the kitchen. Us three were leaving in two days, but until then, we were laying low. My guardian cast a glance towards us every now and then, but I could tell he was comfortable with Jordan's and my situation now that the former would be living and traveling with us, where Roger could keep a close eye on him.

"When I moved here," I told the camera, "I was terrified. I hadn't been in school for two years, and returning was a scary thought. Everyone I met, though, made it so worth it. I made some amazing friends, people that I'm sorry to be saying goodbye to." I glanced at Jordan, cueing his entrance.

"High school might not have been the kindest to me overall," he added, "but some of my teachers really tried to get through to me, even after I had proved impossible to work with. Any kids would be lucky to get taught by you guys. I mean it."

"Our journalism project was broad, and the deadline's not for a while," I continued, "but we knew what we wanted to say. Plus, we're a bit pressed for time. So I'll just say this - school is so underrated. It sounds like a nerdy thing to say, but cherish the experience. Your friends, the structure, all of it - you'll miss it when it's gone, I promise."

"Our high school's not about the education or teachers, even, though they play a large part," Jordan explained with a smile. "It's about the students. It's about the atmosphere that they create. They're the ones that make every day bearable."

"From Tamara and Jordan," I finished off, "we're telling you that our school is about friendship, as cheesy as that sounds." I reached over and turned off the camera. It felt like an important moment.

"Should we edit it?" Jordan asked.

"I don't think we need to," I replied. "I think it was perfect."

"Plus, there's no way in hell you're actually showing that condemning evidence to anyone," Roger intervened, gesturing towards the device with a knife. Jordan and I laughed, and I relaxed into him, feeling completely at home.

*

I walked into school wearing a blonde wig, azure-colored contacts, and an outfit far too preppy for me to feel really comfortable in. If I hurried and didn't talk to anyone, I knew nobody would recognize me.

In my hands, I clutched a manilla folder filled with letters. One to each of my new friends.

I had gotten all of their locker numbers from the school directory. Now, I just had to deliver the letters before the majority of the students arrived.

In each letter, I thanked my friends dearly for taking me under their wings and showing me kindness - even surly Kasey. I encouraged them to stay strong and keep going, despite their minorities.

It was the least I could do.

Just as the first bus rolled up to the building, I shoved Sapphire's letter into her locker. Then, I hurried outside and jumped into Roger's waiting car.

I watched the school building as it disappeared behind us. I thought it would be my last time viewing it until Jordan leaned over and murmured, too quietly for Roger to overhear, "You know, prom's tonight."

In the chaos of the previous weekend, I had completely forgotten. I looked up at him with a slow smile.

"We'll find some way to join in on the festivities," Jordan assured me humorously, answering my unasked question.

*

The night air was slightly chilly, but not too bad, especially not for vampires. Jordan and I stood on a hill overlooking the school. It was far enough away that no details about either the students nor us could be made out. It was a safe location.

We were both dressed in our usual clothes, having nothing fancy to change into. We stood, shoulders pressed together, as we watched the school. I could only imagine the party going on inside. I felt rather nostalgic for something I had never had - I would now never get to experience a prom, unless someday, years from now, I actually went back to school and jeopardized us again. But that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

"It's so weird, thinking about how I'll never go back there," Jordan murmured thoughtfully. "Awesome," he hurried to assure me as I turned worriedly to him, "but strange, too."

"I understand. It's weird for me, too." I sighed, bringing a hand to my face to cover my mouth. I could feel tears clogging my throat and didn't want them to spill.

Jordan must have noticed because he carefully peeled my hand away from my face and elaborately bowed. "May I have this dance, madame?" he asked imperiously, extending a hand to me. I giggled and took it.

He pulled me close to his chest, placing one hand on my hip. We began to slow dance. There was no music, just the whistling of the wind. Regardless, I cherished every second of it.

We danced like this for a couple of minutes before Jordan leaned in for a slow, sweet kiss. When he pulled back, I laughed slightly.

"What?"

"My life is so odd now."

"Same."

"Do you seriously not regret me turning you into a vampire?"

He sighed, thinking for a moment. I was concerned by the silence until he spoke again. "Tamara, let me put it this way. You're the only person who has ever even remotely interested me."

I grinned. "I'm glad to hear it. 'Cause you're gonna be stuck with me for quite some time."

"I'm looking forward to it," he murmured, pulling me close once more.