Chapter Three: The Town of Artemis' Hollow

ابدأ من البداية

"Ricky and Dean?"

"They are two of the men. The men are people who work on the ranch." We pulled off of a freeway and into a little town. 

"Welcome to Artemis' Hollow." Aunt Mary announced. The town looked small and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. 

"How many people live here?" I asked. 

"About 3,000. A lot of the population of the town lives on ranches." Aunt Molly answered. I nodded. 

"The mountains are beautiful." Mom commented. 

"They are. They are one of the reasons I love Artemis' Hollow so much." Aunt Mary agreed. We pull onto a dirt road and then a grand gate greeted us. Aunt Mary typed in the code. I saw a huge house below the hill we were driving up and I could see myself living there, but we drove away from the house. Instead Aunt Mary parked in front of a one story brick house. The house had a nice deck, lots of grass and trees, and plenty of windows. It was nothing compare to our old house. 

"Welcome to you new home

"Welcome to you new home." Aunt Mary told us. I think she saw my look on my face. 

"I know it is not Bel Air, but you girls will adjust. If you need anything, I'm down there." She pointed to the big house below us. I saw a river glimmering in front of it. 

"You girls can swim in the river or fish, just ask." Aunt Mary told us. 

"Thank you, so much. Mary, we would've been homeless if it wasn't for Fred and you." Mom told her. Aunt Mary nodded. 

"Let me call the kids, to help unpack." Aunt Mary said. No one argued with her. 

"Mommy, what is the name of our maid?" June asked.  

"We don't have a maid, anymore." Mom answered. Aunt Mary smiled at Mom.

"Having a maid, that must've been nice." Aunt Mary said dreamily. 

"You've never had one?" Eleanor asked. Aunt Mary shook her head. She dialed something and her phone started to ring. She had it on speaker. 

"The Granger residence." someone answered. 

"Marcus, where are your siblings?" Aunt Mary asked. 

"Farrah is talking to someone, Anna is doing homework, Cole and Peter are playing soccer." he answered. 

"Is your dad around?"

"No."

"Get your siblings and tell them to come down to the Brick House. Your aunt and cousins are here. They need help unpacking." 

"Okay." 

"Thank you."

"Love you."

"Love you too." He hung up. Aunt Mary looked at the house and smiled at us. 

"Want to check out the house?" she asked. She threw Mom a key. 

"Do all the houses on the property look like this?" Mom asked. 

"Nah. This is one of the smallest houses. The men live in a neighborhood of some sort and the tenants live in two story houses." Aunt Mary answered. Sheldon purred in his cage. 

"I'd keep that cat in the house, we have dogs and not to mention all the other creatures that call this ranch home." Aunt Mary advised me. I heard a droning of vehicles approaching and soon enough four vehicles were in front of my. The boys rode quads and the girls were in a Polaris. Three dogs followed them, the dogs were barking loudly. Their hair colors ranged from brunette to blonde to ginger. The oldest girl had ginger hair, the twins were brunette, the second boy had blonde hair, and the youngest had strawberry blonde hair. 

"They are all grown-up." Mom said. 

"Kids, introduce yourself to your Aunt Georgia and her daughters."

"Hi, I'm Farrah." 

"Hello, nice to see you again. I'm Annette."

"Cole."

"Hi. My name's Peter."

"Marcus Granger." 

"Hello! These are my daughters, Harriet, Eleanor, and June." Mom introduced. June waved a little.  

"Great. Now help your aunt unload the car." Aunt Mary told them. They obeyed and went to work. 

"We don't even have to unload, they can do it for us." I whispered to Eleanor. Eleanor snickered. 

"Girls!" Mom called we grabbed a few things. June ran into the room.

"I call this room!" June screamed. Eleanor and I searched drastically for a fourth bedroom. 

"Looks like you two have to share." Aunt Mary laughed. We looked into the bedroom that had two small beds in it. 

"Ugh!" I complained. 

"This sucks." Eleanor muttered. I sat Sheldon on my bed and opened his cage, he stretched happily. Annette set my suitcase outside my door. 

"Hey! Aren't you going to unpack it?" I asked. 

"No. I'm just unpacking the car." she answered. 

"That is so rude! You are terrible at hospitality." She looked like she was going to say something, but Cole whispered something in her ear. He turned to me and glared.

"Don't talk to my sister like that." he told me. 

"Or?" I asked. He walked away instead of saying anything. 

"That's what I thought!" I shouted. I started unpacking my clothes. 

"Harry!" Mom called. I went out front. My cousins were gone and Aunt Mary was all who remained. 

"Why don't you girls come by for dinner? Fred would love to see you all." Aunt Mary said. 

"That sounds wonderful! Thank you, Molly." Mom said. I stayed silent, I didn't want to thank this woman. She drove off and Mom turned to us. 

"Only four more years." she said, for some reason I think she was talking mostly to herself.