Prologue

Cinderpaw tore across the ground, racing through nearly half the territory in seconds. She would show Fireheart that she was worthy and brave. After this, he would take her seriously, show her more than ever in warrior skills, and she would become a warrior fast as lightning. Even Bluestar herself would believe in her. Then she would finally be with Fireheart, and they would be incredibly happy. Nothing would ever go wrong ever again.

Thinking of the wonderful future ahead of her, she hurried even more, and tried desperately to push away the thought that she was disobeying her own mentor's orders. Fireheart had specifically told her not to go to the scene by the thunderpath. She silently made up her mind that she was doing the right thing, and that Fireheart was just upset because he cared about her. Did he really love her? She shook her head to clear it. Of course he loved her, besides if he didn't, wouldn't he have made it clearer? Oh, how silly she was being.

Hoping to think of something else, Cinderpaw scrambled on, startled at the sudden sound of Tigerclaw's voice. "Great StarClan! This is outraging! I still can't believe Nightstar would let his warriors act so disrespectful!"

"That just doesn't sound like Nightstar!" came the puzzled voice of a senior warrior. "It may have been Brokenstar back for revenge!" Whoever it was, they snarled with frustration.

Deep fury sounded in Tigerclaw's voice. "Where is Bluestar?! We've been waiting for ages!"

Eagerly, Cinderpaw exploded from the bushes towards the thunderpath. "Cinderpaw to the res-"

"Cinderpaw, no!" She was interupted by the urgent cry of her littermate Brackenpaw. Just then, he shoved Cinderpaw out of the way, and in the process fell flat on his face on the hard black surface of the thunderpath. Cinderpaw was about to help him, but suddenly she heard a loud rumbling in the distance, slowly growing louder.....