Emily Brontë

This book is not based on real occurrences at all but it is however inspired by an amazing book written by one of my favorite authors, John Greene. I think you can guess which book I'm talking about. The chapters are named after my favorite authors. Enjoy.

Uno

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I let out a sigh of relief as the machine beeped although his eyes did not open but at least he was still alive.

False. False hope was what the sound gave me, false hope that he might survive but deep down a part of me had always known that he would go, I just refused to believe it.

I clutched my mother's hand tight as we watched through the small window what was happening. Six doctors were currently operating on him, some may have been nurses though but I wasn't too sure.

My eyes focused on the peaceful boy atop the hospital bed completely oblivious to what was going on. He didn't even flinch as they jabbed a syringe into his lower arm. Had he been conscious there was no way he would've let them insert any pointy object into his skin, he was way too scared of them. Then again he was scared of most things but what he feared most was what he was currently facing.

I remember having to lie to him on the way here in the ambulance.

"Will I die, Nora?"He had asked, his abnormally dull eyes boring into my teary ones.

I couldn't bear to tell him the truth, I mean was there even a way to tell a seven year old that there was a possibility that they would die. So I lied, I had to.

"No, never," I had managed to say.

"Promise?" He pressed on.

"I promise Ryan," I answered my voice cracking at the end.

"Promise on a bag of skittles," he had joked.

"I promise on a bag of skittles," I replied with a small laugh but my eyes betrayed me as a tear drop rolled down my cheek.

"Don't cry Nora, I'm not dying remember? Just a little sleepy," he smiled up at me and I returned it with a forced one.

Mother was still on the bus at the time, coming from her work place. We arrived at the hospital a few minutes later and Ryan was rushed through the emergency entrance and was immediately attended to.

My mom arrived half an hour later, visibly trembling from worry. It had been some minutes since then and the doctors hadn't given us any report. To say we were on tenterhooks would be an understatement.

Then, as if reading my mind, the door opened and all the doctors stepped out, lastly Dr. Shode who was Ryan's personal doctor. His facial expression said what words couldn't, I already knew what it meant for it wasn't the first time I had seen it. But that didn't mean I wanted to believe it.

He motioned us to enter the room where Ryan lay half awake. I let my mom enter first then stopped in front of Dr. Shorde.

"Will he-?" I asked not wanting to finish my question.

"I'm sorry Miss Thorpe," he replied earnestly,"he put up a strong fight though,".

"How long?" I asked.

"Ten max," he replied.

I swallowed hard before nodding and stepping into the room. I shut the door behind me before approaching him.

"Hey there little guy," I smiled and ruffled his hair.

"Nora!" He said cheerfully and I tried to ignore the tiredness in his voice. "Why do you look so sad, both of you?" He asked his eyes flickering between mom and me.

I wanted to tell him, I wanted to explain to him why I was on the verge of tears, why my heart was being ripped apart, why my world was slowly crumbling down bit by bit but I stopped my self. Instead I gave him another forced smile and squeezed his hand tightly.

"We're not sad sweetie, we were just worried about you but you're fine aren't you, cause you're a brave warrior," my mum replied when I couldn't because of the lump forming in my throat.

"Yeah I am, but I think Nora is the bravest warrior, she's not scared of anything," he replied tiredly looking up to me.

If only I could correct him. Oh, Ryan if only you knew how scared I was at this moment.

"And she also knows how to shoot many people in Call Of Duty without dying, I always die on the first round," he continued still oblivious to the current situation.

"How about I teach you when we go to Kevin's house again," I smiled at him.

"Really? That would be great but could you teach me after I take a nap, the doctor gave me a medicine which made me pretty sleepy,"

"Of course, Ryan we'll play when you're ready, you should get some rest," I replied in a whisper.

"Sleep well my angel," my mom said and kissed his forehead.

I quietly stepped out of the room while my mom embraced Ryan. I came across a vending machine and slipped in a note.

I slid into the room and approached Ryan's sleeping form. I tucked the bag of skittles under his arm and hugged my mom who was wailing over her son.

"Sleep tight, dear brother."

I'm sorry for the tears that may have been shed during this chapter, I promise the next chapter is a lot more cheery.

Thank you to all the people who actually read this, I love you guys so much.

Xoxoxo, Andrea