Chapter 4

The soles of John's shoes were sliding inconveniently down the slope of wet grass, as he tried to slide down the hill as gracefully as possible. Once he reached the bottom, he spotted his unique spot by the tree taken. The petite girl with long auburn waves pulled back into a long french braid had her knees propped up close to her chest and her back leaned casually on one of the drier patches of the tree bark. She turned her head to look at John as though she had already been expecting him. 

"Ella," John said. 

"That's me," Ella replied with a teasing but warm smile. John wandered over and looked down at his soaked shoes and lower robe. He drew out his wand and brandished it at himself, quickly drying and warming his clothes and sneakers. He then performed the same action to a medium-sized patch of grass beside Ella, and sat down. 

"How have you been?" John asked. 

Ella frowned and shrugged. "If we're not counting last night or summer vacation at all, I'd say pretty good." 

John rolled his eyes. "So you heard last night- hell, you probably already knew..." 

"Yes. I knew." While John was particularly apt at spells and charms, Ella had an uncanny knack for Divination; specifically predicting the future and Occlumency.  

Ella caught eye contact with John. "Jealous?" 

John coughed. "No- no of course not. I didn't enter." 

Ella giggled. "Yeah, I got that. You're more worried about him than anything." 

"No- I'm not- why would I be-" John growled, then slumped his shoulders in defeat. "Ok, fine. What should I do? Also, it would be nice if you could refrain from reading my mind for a hot second." 

"I didn't read your mind at all, but thanks for confirming my theory. And winning the bet I had with Daniela." 

"You- what? You two made a bet? On what?"

Ella plucked a pebble from the grass and tossed it into the lake. It left a small pool of ripples that expanded when a grindylow darted to the surface to snatch it and swim back into the depths of the icy water. "Daniela told me last night you spaced out a got all dizzy after his name was called, so we bet on whether you were jealous or worried about him." 

John groaned. "Look. I know I shouldn't be worried because we don't get along, or whatever, or maybe I should be and I would have felt the same way if it was any Hogwarts student, but I don't know. I can't figure anything out right now, my stomach feels like a whirlpool but instead of one direction it's four different currents all fighting for the right of way and- don't give me that look!" Ella grinned. 

She threw a different pebble, and this one skipped three times before sinking. She turned to face John and crossed her legs. "If you're so worried, why don't you offer him help?" 

"What? I can't do that, he would hate me even more than he does already. I would hate myself more."

Ella raised her eyebrows. "You would hate yourself for helping someone?" 

"Not him. Never him." 

"What in the hell do you have against Stanley Worthington?" 

"I just- can't stand him, okay Ella?"

"Would you listen to yourself, John? You sound like a toddler. If it means clearing your conscience, offer him help. If he refuses, so what? You tried. Or you can do that mom thing you do where you persistently force help on him until he gives in."

"'Mom thing'?" John asked exasperatedly. 

"You know what I mean." Ella plucked a blade of grass up from the soft earth and twirled it between her thumb and forefinger until it took flight, spinning gracefully, sending minuscule halos of wind before it touched lightly on the surface of the dark water.