Chapter 1

John hated Gryffindors.

Well, not all Gryffindors. He had quite a few Gryffindor friends who he respected and looked up to, including Maren Elizabeth, whom he had grown up with since birth. They were basically siblings. Before either of them got the letter, Maren and John were inseparable. He didn't know what he would have done if only one of them received the letter; John didn't like to think about it. Even after the Sorting Ceremony, the two were close as ever. Daniela Morales was a mysterious but quirky friend that he loved to hang out with. Sarah Hart was also a Gryffindor. For the two years they'd been together, they even loved each other for a while. Until sixth year, Sarah had begun to hang out with her ex-boyfriend Mark James. If John was being completely honest, he preferred it this way. To add, he would also admit to growing tired of their relationship anyway. They broke up in the couple of months leading to the end of the school year. And he guessed he had been to the Gryffindor common room, met some of the people, and they were all nice. Ok, so John didn't hate all Gryffindors.

He just hated one.

And it was quite easy to see him from his seat at the end of the Hufflepuff long table.

"How was your summer?" Sam asks, his mouth full of treacle tart. John looks away from the Gryffindor table and rests his hand on his palm, raising his eyebrows bemusedly at his best friend.

"Brilliant. What about you?"

Sam shovels more treacle tart into his mouth. "Mokaph. Mph dad wumpts tho-"

"Why don't you slow down a bit so we can understand what the hell you're saying?" Six pipes up from the other side of Sam. She slides into the seat next to him and mimics John by resting her head on her hand. She smirks, which transforms into a misty smile as she tucks a piece of Sam's hair lovingly behind his ear. Sam blushed, but not as noticeably this time.

Ever since the Battle of Hogwarts, the four House tables remained, but students were allowed to sit wherever they wanted. It was a rule meant to unite Hogwarts students and eliminate any inter-House rivalry.

So much for that.

John stares bitterly across the Hall to the back of the head of, as childish as it sounds, his archenemy. His long black hair tickles his shoulders as he laughs at something one of his friends said. John can't see the front of his face, but if he could, he knows how his mouth would be twisted into his signature smirk. One that was often directed at John. So often that John knew that expression better than the back of his hand. Every one of his friends knows that he isn't being childish at all. Anyone who thought so in the beginning would reconsider as soon as they saw the two of them in the same room.

What a pair; John Smith and Stanley Worthington.

"Treacle tart was- is- Harry Potter's favorite dessert. And I don't blame him, the stuff isn't bad," Sam replies. Six presses a kiss to his cheek.

"Nerd."

John laughs. Before he could reply, the desserts disappear across the hall and the plates and goblets cleaned themselves The room slowly grows silent and all eyes draw to Headmistress McGonagall as she rises. She silences the entire Great Hall with a single gesture. She always had that strong and powerful aura that John admired. Never mean, but no one was ever out of line around her.

"Welcome students, to another year at Hogwarts!" She pauses for applause. Some overexcited people banged their goblets against the table. John rolls his eyes. Gaining control again, McGonagall begins to speak. "To old students, welcome back! To new students, we welcome you! To start, basic rules and changes must be covered! Hogsmeade is off-limits to first and second years. Third years, a permission slip is required. The Forbidden Forest is also off-limits after curfew..."