Chapter 1

Julie's POV

"You are a useless garbage!" I heard my dad scream at my 12 year old brother, Jacob, as he held on to his leather belt and I winced instinctively when the sound of his whip landed on my older brother.

"You're just as pathetic as your mother!" He screamed as he used all his strength to hit my brother continuously.

I just sat there in the corner of the room, too afraid to move and much less make a sound. I flinched everytime I hear a loud smack when the leather belt hit my brother's skin.

As a 7 year old, I did not understand why my father would hit my brother when he was unhappy or when he was drunk.

I cried with my brother and sobbed even harder when I saw him scream out in pain everytime a blow was delivered on him.

"No! Stop it!" My tiny feets ran towards them and stood protectively in front of my brother as I glared at my father defiantly with my tear-stained eyes.

"You little bitch! You're just like your bitch mother!" He screamed at my face and slapped me. The blow was hard enough to send me falling to the ground next to my brother.

"No..." I heard my brother croaked painfully next to me as he crawled towards me and crouched over my small petty body, protecting me from my father.

"You want to be the hero huh? Fine! Then you can be the hero for all you want!" He roared as he continued to rain blows onto my brother who winced in pain.

I sobbed and cried under my brother who just forced a smile and quietly shushed me.

"It's ok. I'll protect you. Shush. Don't be scared." He smiled weakly and whispered silently into my ear as the corners of his eyes formed puddles of tears, trying his best to hold them back.

After what seemed like eternity, my father was finally drained out of his energy and stopped whipping my brother. Leaving the room, he slammed the door behind him as he left the house.

We just stayed there, with me sobbing uncontrollably and my brother hugging me to his chest protectively as he slowly pats my head.

We live in this small house in the poor estates of Los Angeles with my abusive father. We used to be a delightful little family, but it all went tumbling down when my father got addicted to drugs and alcohol.

He would come home every night with his bloodshot eyes, demanding my mum for money.

For the first few times, she gave it to him willingly but when she started to quarrel and defy him, he began hitting and abusing my mum.

My brother and I would then hurdle with her and cry when he stormed out of the house.

But then on a fateful night when I turned 5, she just left us a note, wishing me a happy birthday and saying that she has had enough of my father and could not stand any minute here and decided to run away.

When my father found out that his wife had ran away with all the money, he became so furious that he directed his anger on both Jacob and I.

But everytime when my father wanted to hit me, my big brother would always save me and take the beatings for me.

"Are you alright Julie?" My brother asked me as he softly touched my red cheek. I sniffed and nodded my head while I looked into his eyes.

"Alright then, little Jul. Would you go pack your bags?" My brother asked me as he attempted to stand but falled down as I quickly went to put his left arm over my shoulders to support him.

"Quickly, Jul. Before he comes back." He told me in a soft yet commanding tone.

"But why?" I asked him innocently.

My brother turned to face me and said in a solemn voice. "We're running away.Tonight."

This sentence changed my entire life.

A/N

So how was chapter 1? Was it ok? I have no clue... It's my first time writing a story. But please drop comments! Much appreciated.