The few tears that had escaped her eyes had soon grown into a full cry. Ava’s body began to curl up into the fetal position. Her arms clung to her legs. Her throat began to burn as she cried. 

Ava didn’t know why she was crying. It had seemed that crying had become second nature to her over the past few weeks. 

Ever since Harry left, she was not the same. After she had gotten back from Portland, she called Harry but it went straight to voice mail. She knew that he was avoiding her. She knew, god she knew that he wanted space. But the more space that she gave him, the more worried she grew. The voices inside of her head kept mocking her. He’s done with you. You screwed up. Harry won’t want to be with someone who doesn’t care about his feelings. 

“Why?” Ava cried to her empty apartment. “God! Why did I do that? Why?” 

That night, Ava cried herself to sleep. It wasn’t the first time she had done that this week. She had cried herself to sleep every single day since she left Harry at his party. She cried for him. She cried for their relationship. But most importantly, she cried for herself and her own confused heart. 

It had been a few days since it rained. Ever since that day, the sun had shown even harder. The heat beat down on the freshly rained streets. A heat wave took over the overpopulated city. 

Ava pulled down her skirt and readjusted her t-shirt. It was her last day at her internship. It was a bittersweet feeling. Even though this was not the most ideal summer, she was still extremely thankful for everything that she had learned at the LA Times. Most importantly, she was thankful for Stevie and Jax and the friendship she had developed with them. Even though it had been a rough start between her and Stevie, she now considered her a close friend. 

“Ava-a-a,” Jax whined, “Do you have to move back up North? You should just move here.” He pouted. Ava couldn’t help the giggles that escaped her lips as she looked at him. He looked like a sad puppy. 

“I need to go home, Jax.” She giggled once again. “But- you and Stevie need to come and visit me. I’ll take you to Tim Hortons.”

“That’s the coffee place right?”

“Yeah, kinda. There’s coffee, sandwhiches, donuts.”

“Oh right! Oh fuck. That sounds so good right now. I could go for a donut.” 

“I thought you were on a no-carb diet.” Stevie joked. 

“Fuck. That’s right.”

Ava laughed, “Why are you on a diet?” 

“Have you seen this pudgy stomach?” Jax gasped as he pinched his abs.

“Uh, no?” Ava laughed once again. She was going to miss this guy. 

“Well, I do. Anyways! We are going out tonight. A good bye party and a celebration!” 

“Celebration?” 

“That you two are finally done this stupid internship.” Jax laughed once again. 

“I’m down with that!” Stevie piped in. 

“Sure.” Ava agreed. A party never hurt anyone, she thought to herself. 

Ava’s apartment looked like a war zone. A few boxes were scattered across her living room full of things that she had purchased over the summer. Inside the bedroom, there was absolutely no floorspace to walk. Her clothes were scattered throughout the room in a disheveled mess. She was looking for an outfit to wear out tonight. As much as she secretly didn’t want to go out tonight, she knew that this was what she needed. She desperately needed a good time out with her friends. A few drinks also never killed anyone.