Twenty-Four

His breath was caught in his throat. The words had slipped before his brain realised what he had said. He wouldn't deny what he felt. He knew that he was falling in love with her. He also was aware that by telling Ava how he felt, he was risking his heart.

She looked at him, her eyebrows furrowed. She was completely taken back. She began to recall the many conversations they had about his unability to fall in love. She knew that by getting into a relationship with Harry, there was the risk that he would never feel the way that she would feel. She knew that there was the risk that he would not fall in love and leave her broken. However, it had been a risk that she was willing to make. There had always been something about Harry that lured her back. It wasn't just his cheeky smile, his low, rough voice, or the way that he made her feel special. No, it was something that she couldn't describe. It was as if the universe was always pulling them together, that in the in, it was inevitable that they got together. Yet- in the back of her mind, she didn't think he would actually be the first to admit love.

He quickly, and rather awkwardly, cleared his throat and let go of his grasp around her waist. He stepped back and walked to the other side of the kitchen counter. His hold on the paper bag was tight, his knuckles white.

"Harry--" Her voice was quiet. She reached over, placing her hand on his own. He pulled away quickly.

"Don't." The tone of his voice was harsh. He looked up at her, his expression hardened. "Just forget it, okay Ava?" He reached into the bag and pulled out the take out boxes. "I'll grab some forks." She was frozen. Her body had completely forgotten how to function, her throat dry.

She tried again, forcing her voice this time to be audible. "Harry, stop." He ignored her and continued with grabbing the necessary cutlery to eat. She walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. He stopped and became completely still. He didn't look at her. That didn't stop her from rubbing his arm softly. "Harry, please don't overreact, okay?"

He jerked away from her touch.

"Fuck, Ava. Just drop it okay?"

She took a step closer. "No. Just, please, look at me." He didn't step back but allowed her to grab onto his other arm. "You just took me off guard. I wasn't expecting you to say that. Especially since you have been so adament about being against love." She lifted his head with her finger, "Please look at me." She pleaded, her voice fragile.

Harry looked back at her. Her eyes were glossed over. He suddenly felt bad for his sudden mood swing. He sighed and wrapped his arms around Ava. "I'm sorry for being a pussy."

She let out a light hearted laugh. "Harry! You're not... that." He couldn't help but smirk at her innocent expression. Harry wasn't one to make crude remarks around Ava, but sometimes he would let them slip. Her expression each time was priceless.

"I get what you mean though. I haven't been too happy-go-lucky about realtionships and love."

"It's okay, Harry. Neither have I."

"I guess we are both shitty at this, hey?"

She giggled, a sound that was sweet to his ears. "I guess we're shitty at relationships and love." A non-awkward silence followed. She let out a small breath before she spoke. "Just because I didn't say that I was falling in love with you doesn't mean that I'm not." He lifted his hand and ran his fingers through her loose curls. He leaned in and took in her scent- vanilla and lavender. They were both broken. They were both scared. Yet some how they had found one another. It was as if their stars were alined. "I'm just scared." If he wasn't so close, he wouldn't have been able to hear her. "Let's just eat, okay?" He nodded and pulled her into him for a much needed embrace.