California Dreaming

Start from the beginning

"When I asked Dave if he'd take me for another ride in his car he told me I was a pathetic little wimp."

"He gave me a wedgie and told me to go away before he kicked my ass!"

Chris turned around and Lindsey could see Chris's underwear ripped at the waistband riding up his back. Lindsey, a veteran of a wedgie of two from his brothers over the years understands. He says to Chris

"When you go home just rip those down the side and throw them away."

Lindsey then asks Chris

"Did Stevie see him do this to you?"

Chris shakes his head and says

"No he told me if I told her he'd stick my head in the toilet and make me bob for turds!"

Lindsey chuckles not being able to help himself. He replies

"Dave really is a creep isn't he?"

Chris looks at his feet and says

"Yes and I'm afraid of him!"

Lindsey puts his arm around Chris and replies

"Tell you what, whenever Dave comes by why don't you just come over here and hang out with me?"

Lindsey saw Chris's face light up as he says

"Thank you Lindsey I knew you where a swell guy!"

"I think my sister misses you sometimes, I see her looking over at your house all the time."

Over the time between then and now Chris has become like a little brother. He tags along with Lindsey and Scott when they are out, plays hoops with Lindsey in the driveway and sometimes just hangs out when Lindsey's practicing his guitar in the garage.

Lindsey comes out of his reverie as he and Sally pull into the A&W drive-in resturant. Lindsey parks in a stall and asks Sally

"I'm getting a root beer float, you want anything babe?"

Sally snuggles up to his side and says

"I'll just share yours honey!"

Lindsey forces a smile and orders his root beer float and some onion rings. He would order a Papa burger but he's afraid she take a bite out of it! He's also irritated not wanting to share his float as a random thought pops in his head

"I wouldn't of cared if Stevie wanted to share my float, or anything else."

As hard as he's tried to put her out of his mind she still sneaks up on his thoughts at random. He will be playing a new song and wonder how it would sound with her voice. Sometimes he indulges himself remembering how her lips felt presses against his or how soft and creamy her skin looks. He's aware that he thinks about Stevie often when he's with Sally. As nice and pretty as Sally is, she is no Stevie. Lindsey wonders if anyone could compare to her. Deep down he knows the answer.

Again his thoughts are broken by the carhop bringing his items. Lindsey pays her and after finishing their snacks he spends the rest of his afternoon after leaving the A&W drive-in cruising around the bay with Sally listening to the radio enjoying his new car.

Later that week on a Wednesday evening Lindsey is attending a Young Life gathering at the community center. Lindsey like most of the young people in town attend as a means to get out of the house instead of being cooped up at home studying.

After the prayer and community volunteer parts of the meeting everyone is socializing in small groups around the meeting hall. Lindsey has brought his acoustic guitar with him and has played a couple songs for a group of about a dozen teens. He gets a sudden inspiration and starts to sing and play California Dreaming by the Mama's and the Papa's.