Fate

Twisting the two rings around his finger, Harper leaned against the large wooden door leading out of the room. It had been at least an hour since the two lords had left, yet he couldn't bring himself to join them. He knew that it was his current job to be at Rule's side, but every time he worked up the courage to turn around and grab the door handle, his lower lip began to ache and the rings on his finger became surprisingly uncomfortable. 

Master Arthur, why did you go and kiss me? 

He had almost hoped that they knew he was a man over thinking that he was a woman. Harper knew that neither of the lords would pursue him if he were a male, but being a female...

The idea of just being a mistress to either man sent an uncomfortable chill down his spine. He had little pride, but what he did manage to maintain would never allow him to do such a thing, even if he were of the correct gender to join in a tryst between the sheets. 

Pursing his lips, Harper dug his upper teeth into the slight injury Arthur had given him, making it sting. He has to be playing with me. They always are. Sighing, he dug his fingers into his hair, then spun back around to face the door. 

"You can't stay in here all night. They're going to send someone up if you don't come down." 

Grumbling under his breath, he straightened his posture and opened the door. The sound of paws thumping in the hardwood hallway drew Harper's attention to the left. He would have slammed the door right then and there, but the beast was already so close that if he tried to keep it out, he could accidentally hurt it by getting the evil creature stuck in the door. 

Arthur would be really mad if I hurt his dog. 

Biting back his fear, he forced himself to stand still as the animal slowed to a stop before him. It's massive head raised and lowered, taking in his scent with a few grunted sniffs. 

"I don't have anything for you and I don't like you. Now go away, dog." He said, trying to nudge it away. When it just grunted and grabbed a hold of the edge of his shirt. 

It tugged, growling quietly. "Oh no. I am not following you. With my luck, you'll drag me off somewhere and try to eat me. I know how you beasts work." 

Even with his chiding, the animal refused to release him and instead continued to try and pull him away from Rule's rooms. 

"You're going to tear this shirt and I'm going to tell Arthur that it was you who did it. He'll put you outside, where you should be." Harper warned. 

The dog only stared up at him, almost appearing to roll its eyes. Frustrated, Harper tried to shove the beast aside, but only succeeded in tripping over it. The dog didn't seem happy with his reaction, because it swung around and began nipping at Harper's shoes. 

Yelping, Harper stumbled, only to have the beast take his left foot between its teeth. Thankfully, it didn't squeeze too hard, but it did throw him off balance, giving the animal another shot at his heels. 

"Alright, alright! I'm going!" He yelled as he hurried forward, taking off at a run to try and avoid getting nipped at again. 

The furred demon followed closely behind him, growling every few moments until Harper was moving as fast as he could. He reached the stairs at a dead sprint, panting as he hopped up onto the thick wooden railing to avoid the mogrel's teeth. He slid easily all the way down to the entryway, only realizing his mistake when he dropped to the marble floor and looked up to meet the eyes of several noblemen. 

Uh oh. 

"And this young man making quite an interesting entrance, is my valet, Hari." Rule said, gesturing toward him with a curtsy.