____________________

Manik tapped the desk impatiently while Harshad checked the clock for nth time. His impatient friend was becoming a matter of concern for him. He had never seen Manik this restless.

"Just five more minutes," Harshad whispered to Manik.

Manik nodded and tried to concentrate what Major Sinha was saying. It all was sounding gibberish to him. He didn't know how he had restrained himself from running to Colonel's cottage and see her.

Last night played in his mind and he didn't realize when he turned so hot. His forehead was furrowed and palms sweaty. It was anger which was shaping up now. He still couldn't believe how any family could oust their daughter like that. Pen in his hand crackled as he exerted all his might on it. He knew he wasn't ever going to forgive Mr Murthy. He earlier had no one to feel this much protective about but now when he had, he could feel the feeling touching the lid. He didn't know what extent she could take him to. He knew he could never lose her.

Bell rang and he stormed out like there was nothing which could hold him back now. Harshad collected his and Manik's books from desk. He followed Manik while entire class gaped them.

__________________

Door of Colonel's house was open and Manik didn't hesitate to barge in. Someone was sitting in living room. It was a lady. Her back was turned on Manik.

"Manik," Mrs Singh said elated seeing him there.

That lady turned around and now Manik knew who she was.

It was Nandini's mother. Manik's gaze hardened as he stared right back in Mrs Murthy's eyes. She too didn't have any kind of warmth in her eyes.

It was like she was condemning him. Manik knew he could never like her or her husband. He had seen how they treated Nandini. It didn't matter anymore what they thought of him.

"I called them," Mrs Singh tried to cut the dense air. Manik's gaze was questioning as Mrs Singh tried to reason him.

"I thought they would be worried," She explained.

Manik didn't reply but stride upstairs. He could hear someone talking from away. Nandini's room was open a bit and he could hear a familiar voice. He reached the room and saw Nandini cuddling to her Daadu. Rishi was there too standing in corner. His face was relaxed but he looked taut.

"Daadu," Manik called and Daadu looked towards door.

"Manik," Daadu said elated and walked to him. Manik's eyes were on Nandini who looked so weak and feeble as she tried to smile at him. Daadu hugged Manik tightly and murmured a quivering thanks. Manik wrapped his arms around Daadu and smiled.

"This brigadier owes his life to this cadet," He whispered with a shaky voice. Manik didn't know how to console the big man. He had never felt warmth of bonds and it would take time to get used to it. His eyes found Nandini's and she smiled more.

Daadu let go after a long time and walked back to Nandini. Manik found the situation quite awkward as he stood at door not knowing what to do. He smiled at Rishi while walking inside. There were medicines on table and he found it best to check them to leave the family alone.

Nandini shook her head totally sensing Manik's awkwardness. It was scary how they both had started to understand each other without a word. Kids had signed up for something much bigger than their shoes.

"We didn't find this brat anywhere, how did you find her?" Rishi asked as he walked to Manik.

Manik looked up and then at Daadu. Nandini leaned on huge pillow as simper on her face grew big. Manik knew it was working. This visit by her family might have worked wonders as she looked much better.