Chapter 11

The day finally came as she reached the palace. In meeting the royal caravan, she was dressed once more in her royal robes, head dress, veil and jewelry. She moved in to be presented to the king along a long line of royalty. The room was already filled with music, food and dignitaries who had already come in. when she was announced, Tamina walked in towards King Sharaman. She noted the difference in the reception she received from the room and especially from the King. Her beauty is a known around the kingdoms but it was a rare occasion if anyone saw princess Tamina with their own eyes. Another difference was in the face of King Sharaman's face. The official demeanor changed to one of kindness and love as he extended his hands to her. Tamina did her best not to look around for Dastan but her eyes could only find Princes Tus and Garsiv.

The king took her hands to his, "I have prayed that you would be able come daughter. I hope you are well and in good health. Word came that you were not seen for a month?"

"All is well with me, your highness. I was in meditation those weeks and rumors have their way of going around. I thank the Gods for your good health King Sharaman and your blessing in the joy of your son Prince Garsiv in his marriage," Tamina smiled as the words left her. She exchanged pleasantries with the two princes and struggled to find words to ask of Dastan. Tus noticing this spoke, "Our brother Prince Dastan is on his royal duties and is to arrive late into the night to be present for the ceremony."

Tamina's heart sank at the words but she fashioned her face emotionless and replied as any guests would. It seems that she had to wait more hours to see her prince.

"May I please send word to request for an audience once he arrives Prince Tus. I...I wish to meet him to." Tamina struggled with the words as Tus supported to complete her sentence. "Yes of course Princess. I will inform him that you had requested an audience. "

In the other corner of the palace, men were unloading their armour and goods from Dastan's caravan. He had reached the palace at that time when the page approached him. Dastan's travel left heavy trace of sweat and dust over him. He inquired if the banquet had started and who were in attendance. He knew in his heart although not voiced that his father will invite Tamina. It had been a little over three months since the incident and the last time he laid his eyes on her face.

"Is Princess of Alamut in attendance?" he asked as he removed his armour . It was confirmed as she has and the page went to add that her beauty over shone all princesses who were present.

He wanted to see her but at the words of her presence took him back to his anger at her, his pride overtaking his heart. He looked at his hands remembering how it felt to hold her. He longed for it still but he knew he was in too much of a rage to see her.

"Send word to Prince Tus from me to extend to the king my apologies for my absence and gratitude for his understanding. My travel has made me exceedingly tired and I am not proper for receiving guests."

Dastan stood in silence for a while. At this very minute, Tamina was only a few rooms away from him. This gave his heart a sudden chill the closeness to her. In his mind, he ran the scenario of meeting her over and over again. He would great her as any royalty would and be as he was. However, when it came around to it, he just could not face her. For him, she should have given her the benefit of the doubt that day, ask him the reasoning for such rumors or just take his side. He did not think it possible for someone who claimed to be as close turn so fast with few words from a spy. It was all just an act he convinced himself.

Tamina went through the function in a complete mask of grace hiding the disappointment of not seeing Dastan. Perhaps he would arrive late or when he hears of her presence, rush to meet her. Prince Tus in receiving Dastan's apology for his absence sent message to him to receive the Princess. She smiled as that was all she could do in public. This was possibly the longest dinner Tamina has ever attended and she longed for solace of her room. The king has insisted she be housed in the main palace unlike the other guests who were provided another palace adjoining. She was accompanied by one of Tus' wife who was desperately trying to raise Tamina's spirits but ended up only speaking without a pause.