Chapter 8

The few guardian councilmen were the protectors of the secret of the Dagger of Time. As soon as those words left Asoka's lips, Tamina knew the urgency she was needed in. She bid Dastan and promised to meet him once the meeting is done.

When she walked in to the room, the small gathering looked grave and sad at the knowledge they have.

"Is the Dagger of Time safe," Tamina asked.

"It is your highness. We were assembled for another reason. The guard serving as our spy with Koshkhan came back to us," a councilman said.

"Is he well? Is Koshkhan planning attack? If so we need to have prince Dastan here!"

"Your highness, please have a seat. The spy is unharmed. It was just that the knowledge he had needed to be conveyed in person. It was too important. We request you not to have prince Dastan here. It is in concern to him that we gather here," Asoka said as he avoided her eyes.

The next few moments were perhaps the worst moment Tamina had to go through. Her body went cold, she could not believe what was said but the proof and justification by people sworn and dedication to her or years was too grave to dismiss.

She was taken through what the spy had to share. It was overheard at a meeting not of Koshkhan but of another which was looming with them. A group called the Hassansins. They were to be disbanded by the king some years ago. It now seems that had been an effort to pacify the people as they were in operation and in the service of the Persian crown. They were speaking of their latest mission; the stealing of the Dagger of Time for a power to turn back time, which will make Persia the most powerful empire in the world. The prince had been sharing information with Persia and keeping a watch over until the time is right to strike. Tamina sat motionless at the words and had been looking at the table.

"No this...this cannot be. It was prince Dastan who returned the Dagger of Time to me. They could have had it if they wanted to," she reasoned.

"Your highness, Prince Dastan would have thought that Asoka was dead. Seeing him well, he knew Asoka was aware that he took the Dagger. There is also another reason if I may speak so boldly," the councilman asked. Tamina nodded.

"They did not know where to get the sand from when all that is in the hilt ran out. They needed to look for the sandglass. In case the sandglass does not materialise, they needed their allies also for their future. So...so they placed the prince in our midst. ..."

"And we fell right into it thinking Persia will strengthen us," Tamina said more to herself and more about their relationship than for the matter at hand. "The facade of helping our city and protecting us was to look for the sandglass."

"Your highness, Koshkhan does not care at all for the Dagger. He knows nothing and he had moved on. Prince Dastan's presence with his soldiers can only be for the search of the sand. It seems their plans from the beginning had been tainted with the search for the Dagger of Time and the sand."

Tamina stood up in anger. Orders were given to change the guards at the high temple from what Dastan has advised. Seso was to be removed and extra men were to be moved across the city enough to outnumber the Persians. The councilmen advised her to be aware of the way they will handle this. Persia is too strong and too powerful. Attacking Alamut again will not be a difficult task. After discussions on the security, the concern turned to Prince Dastan. What will they tell the prince before they request him to leave?

"I will do that," she said. The softness she acquired in the past months of being with Dastan was now gone. It was the princess and the sovereign who stood before them.