Chapter 7

Tamina was brought from sleep by the calling of her name by her handmaiden. She opened her eyes slightly and as the sunlight hit her face, she pulled the blanket over her face. Her head felt like an elephant is sitting on it and even her name sounds as the most dreadful sound to her ears.

"Elephants. ...why do I remember elephants," Tamina wondered.

She sat on her bed and looked around for Dastan but he had gone with no sign even of him having slept on the floor.

As awful as she felt, Tamina did not want to skip the council meeting or provide an excuse of being sick. Her people took any illness too severely and as an act of the gods. Her hangover was quite man made. The council meetings were long and seemingly loud than usual which did not help in her recovery of a lot of alcohol and very little sleep. She felt warm and uncomfortable making her squirms on her chair. The head councilman was going on and on about her marriage. She felt her need to gag but she took a sip of water and took a deep breath.

"Keep it in Tamina," she told herself.

Unfortunately before she can do anything, she threw up on the council room floor! Asoka immediately came to her calling the handmaidens with the old councilmen looking in surprise. Tamina at this point was quite dizzy and just wanted to be away from this room.

"My princess," the head councilman exclaimed, "are you with child?" as he said this, loud whispers covered the whole room and before Tamina can deny and clarify her state, she was lead out to her chambers and the healers were called.

Dastan had left to the Persian camp early at the news of message from Garsiv had reached camp. His quiet contemplation on Garsiv's word with Bis was interrupted by Asim wanting to meet the prince alone.

"Say it now. I do not mind Bis here," he said as he took the wine to his lips.

"Your highness, the princess may be with child," Asim said smiling.

At that point, wine sprayed out from Dastan's mouth all over Asim's face.

"Wha..what? No, no, no. What? er...be outside I will join you momentarily. Sorry about the wine," Dastan said in staggered words.

As Asim left, Bis turned to Dastan with a smile, "Dastan this is wonderful news!"

"No it is not. She is not with child Bis," Dastan replied in a serious tone.

"Do not say that. It has been over a month closing in on two and it is only natural," Bis gave a pat on Dastan's shoulder.

"I know she is not!"

"And how do you know? Are you a healer?" Bis shot back jokingly.

"Because we have not...you know...been together, " Dastan said in hesitation.

"You mean not recently?" Bis asked in slow wording.

"No I mean ever!" Dastan replied.

"Your father is going to kill you, Dastan!"

"I tell you such a selfless thing I did and all you say is, your father's going to kill me," Dastan shot back.

"So you did not take her maidenhood?"

"No and I think mine is growing back," Dastan said as he made his way to the palace.

Tamina was already asleep when he reached the chamber. The healer explained what he already knew, she was not with child. They suspect something she ate perhaps. They also informed that the Princess's garden has been trampled on and they are investigating the incident!