8

The day finally came when we were expecting the arrival of Connor and Achilles, and I was over the moon. I rushed around the house all day, ensuring every room was spotless, making and remaking my bed until there was not a single crease in the sheets. I was sure I had poor Gabriel and Lydia driven mad all that day in the hours before their coming.

When Achilles had written back in acceptance, certainly, my mother was driven insane by my excitement. Finally, I might have the chance to take this weight off my chest! Carrying this secret, this training with Achilles, was a rock on my heart.

This day, I was helping Lydia and Nadia to prepare a meal and the kitchen was damp and humid with steam from the carrot slices boiling over the hearth. Connor and Achilles were only coming for lunch, but Nadia wanted to make sure they were well-fed (she slipped me a sly wink as she said this).

I had dressed nicely that morning, and tied my hair back from my face, but I just knew my face would be flushed and rosy by the time they arrived, and my hair would be frizzy and sticking out.

"Cassie," Lydia said. "Darling, the day won't run away on you. You can slow down."

Things needed to be perfect. I used my wrist to push stray hair from my face, stirring a pot of gravy with my other hand. "I know," I said. "I just. . . I want it to be nice for them. It's Connor's first time here."

"I'm sure they wouldn't mind a little bit of wiggle room," said Lydia. "They've known you long enough. Nadia, could you pick some parsley? I want to put it on these potatoes."

"Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can feed us what you're craving," I muttered. "Meredith won't stand for that."

She lightly whacked me upside the head. "Excuse me! I'll have you know parsley on mashed potatoes is very nice. Don't fight me on this one, you'll distract Gabriel from his work."

Gabriel, being a rather busy accountant, was trying to get as much work as was possible finished before the arrival of our guests, so even Meredith was barred from entering his office. On some days like this, wherein he was working in his office, I would climb through his window to talk to him. He was a pleasant conversation partner, though his quiet demeanour was often outshone by Lydia.

Out of playful spite, I was about to snap back some witty retort, only to jump near out of my skin at the sharp knock on the front door.

Lydia let out a stressed breath. "Cass, get the door."

I was already there, pulling the lock out of place to swing the door open with a wide smile. "Good morrow to you both!"

Connor stood closest to the door (Achilles had likely made him knock in order to further accustom him to actively communicating with people), and he was dressed differently. Gone were his furs and skins, replaced by a more simple outfit of breeches and a shirt - though he still wore his moccasins, as the winter had not yet struck, allowing him to wear lighter materials.

I hugged him first - and to my utter shock, he only tensed for a moment before, slowly, he hugged me back. Smiling to myself, I said nothing of it and instead let him go in order to embrace Achilles, who half-heartedly swatted me away.

"Do come in," I said, tucking stray hair behind my ears. I must have looked a right state, but I stepped aside and opened the door wider to allow them entrance.

On cue, Lydia untied her apron from her growing belly and left the kitchen to greet our guests. Gabriel followed her from his office to stand beside her (Meredith must have told him that they were here), and eyed our guests with interest - lingering on Connor.