Chapter 1: The Bargain.

Echo.

The moon was full and high in the sky, casting an eerie glow on the dense forest that surrounded my pack and I. I was running, heart racing, fear gripping my chest tightly as I heard the sounds of branches breaking and leaves rustling behind us.

The forest was dark and thick with trees, making it difficult to see where we were going despite our night vision. Branches and twigs scraped at our faces and clothes as we pushed through the undergrowth, and the ground was uneven and treacherous underfoot. But despite the obstacles, I continued to run, my wolf instincts driving me forward.

The pack was in chaos, and the lycan beast was behind it all. My heart raced with fear, knowing that we were no match for the the beasts' brute strength. We had fought bravely, our wolf forms snarling and clawing at the Lycans. But it was no use. They were too powerful, too fast, and too ruthless, so we had to retreat, to save the rest of us, lest we all die in their hands.

My best friend, Dora, was running beside me, and I could see the fear in her eyes as much as she could probably see mine if she ever even had the chance to look sideways at me while running for her life. Her fur was bristling with so much fear. We had been best friends since we were pups, and I was sure that I would not even be able to bear it if I lost her, I could not even bare the thought much more the happening.

I risked a glance over my shoulder and saw the hulking form of Caesar, leading the charge. He was a towering, fearsome creature, standing at least eight feet tall with broad, muscular shoulders and limbs that seemed too long for its body. He was massive, easily thrice the size of any werewolf in our pack. His fur was a mottled mix of grays and browns, with streaks of black that seemed to shift and shimmer in the moonlight. His eyes were a piercing yellow, almost glowing with a fierce intelligence that sent shivers down the spine of anyone who met its gaze.

The lycan beast's presence alone seemed to radiate a palpable sense of danger and menace, and even the bravest of warriors would think twice before facing him in battle. He moved with a fluid grace that belied his massive size, his muscles rippling under his fur as he loped across the forest floor, his pack in tow.

Caesar was infamous for his cruelty, his penchant for killing any and all werewolves who dared to stand in his way. He had already decimated our pack twice before, and now he was back for more. This time, he was more brutal than ever. He killed every person who stood in his way, including our warriors and epsilons. It was as if he had planned this attack meticulously, and we were caught off guard.

I ran faster, trying to put as much distance between us and the lycans as possible. But it was no use. They were too fast, too strong. And suddenly, I heard a blood-curdling scream coming from behind me, and I turned my head to see Dora being dragged away by the Lycan beast.

"DORA!" I screamed out her name and tried to run after her, but it was too late. The beast had already torn her apart, leaving nothing but a pool of blood in its wake. Dora laid motionless on the ground, her eyes staring blankly at the sky.

I screamed out in agony, my heart shattering into a million pieces. My heart sank as I watched my best friend take her last breath. Before I could even react and work on the horror that I had just witnessed, a smaller yet massive lycan beast compared to our own form charged towards us, teeth bared and claws extended. Chaos erupted as my pack members tried to defend themselves, but the beasts were just too strong.

I felt a wave of grief wash over me for the deaths I kept witnessing and most especially my best friend's, but there was no time to mourn. The pack was still in danger, and we needed to keep running. But we were soon tired, and our bodies were starting to give out so we had no other choice but to stand alert waiting for the beast to barge on us and start attacking. I stood there as brave as I could and I could already feel my heart beating in my mouth. The whole forest seemed to ear the cries of war too and the thunder rumbled above us.