"Oh, daddy, you brought out that dusty old apron again? You look embarrassing." I say as I straighten my ponytail through the back of my work hat. 

"Ain't no shame in it, baby girl. And for your information, I think I look cool. Besides, it's my job as a father to embarrass you. You are my daughter, after all, so I have every right to." My dad says as he begins to make the chili. I roll my eyes and laugh at him as he prepares the main dish for this afternoon. 

I hear the bell ring as our first few customers begin to enter the restaurant. A few patrons sit down and I start to make my rounds by handing out menus and taking orders. I begin my first trip taking orders at the main counter, where a few firefighters sat. One man raised his hand to get my attention as I had just finished taking orders at the far right end of the counter. I make my way over to him with pen and notepad in hand. 

"Hi, welcome to August Family Diner. Would you like a drink to start off your meal?" I  ask politely, waiting patiently to start taking down his order. 

"Ah, yes actually. Do you guys have the peach tea?" The man asks, gazing at the menu and then up at me. 

"Yes, we do. Would you like a lemon slice on the glass as well?" I ask. 

"Yes please." The firefighter replies. 

"Okay, one peach tea with lemon. Alright, and what would you like to eat today, sir?" I ask, quickly filling in his order. 

"Ooh, it says here that you have a special today. What is it?" The firefighter asks in wonder. 

"Oh, well today in honor of National Firefighters' Day, we have the Fireman's Flaming Hot Chili. It comes with either a slice of our famous cast iron skillet cornbread or onion rings. And as a special treat to beat the heat, we throw in a tall glass of milk for after. Just to be safe." I wink at the man to tweak his nerves, as to warn him of what is to come. 

"Okay, well I will have the chili." The man quickly answers.

"Are you sure? You don't wanna back down?" I ask, trying to see if this man will change his mind. 

"Nope, I think I want a challenge." The firefighter replies with confidence as he hands me the menu. 

"Alright then. What would you like as your side?" I ask as I take the menu from him with a nervous grin. 

"Hold the side and the milk. I won't need it. Bring on the chili." The man smiles with a smug look and folds his arms as he leans back in his chair. The counter erupts with arousing "oohs" as his friends quietly cheer him on.  

"Okay, we'll have it right out to you," I say as I quickly retreat to the back of the kitchen, where my dad is preparing the volcano, which is this chili. 

"Dad, we got one order of Firemans' Chili. But, this guy wants a challenge. Skip the cornbread, skip the milk. He's all in." I say intensely. 

"Okay, if he wants a challenge, we'll give it to him. No mercy. I've got something special for the little daredevil." My dad then quickly takes out a small briefcase from the cabinet above the stove and opens it to reveal the nightmare that is the Carolina Reaper, the hottest pepper in the world right now. 

"Dad, that thing is a killer, you know that, right?" I ask nervously, twiddling my thumbs. 

"Oh, I know, except there's a twist." My dad begins to prepare the bowl of chili, and to add more to the already horrifying display, he garnishes the chili with an entire Reaper on top. He then hands the bowl to me.  

"Jesus, dad! You might kill him with this!" I say as my dad hands me the bowl. 

"No mercy, baby girl. He brought this upon himself. Tell him it's a special bowl, courtesy of the chef. Oh, and wish him luck. He's gonna need it." My dad immediately starts to laugh like the Polynesian devil he is as I prepare the meal.