22. Tryouts

It was time for tryouts and me and William were setting up out on the field for later. We had a table set up with a clipboard so people could sign in when they came out here. It was just Will and me setting up for now until Charlie and Music could be excused from class to help. The rest of the team were in class, but Will and I got a pass since this was urgent.

As Will and I were setting up, our principal, Principal Dallas, came out to greet us on our decision. I had to be honest, Principal Dallas was NOT an ugly man. He had that scruff or like five o'clock shadow guys get when their facial hair grows back. I could tell he was young because his eyes showed that. They were a lovely shade of brown and on top of that, he was tall and had a "swoosh" hairstyle. Ya know, where the hair swoops over like a combover, but like with hair still on the head? I'm confusing, aren't I? Oh, forget it! I'm stupid, he's sexy and I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!

"Mr. Singe, Coach August, good morning." Principal Dallas says as he walks towards us with a clipboard.

"Good morning, Principal Dallas. We're just setting up over here for tryouts later after school." Will replies.

"Ah, you finally made the decision to switch, huh?" Principal Dallas asks.

"Yeah, good old William here convinced me to give it another shot," I reply, patting William on the back.

"Good job! I can't wait to see the looks on those snot-nosed Hawkeyes when we roll up on their turf!" Principal Dallas shouts out with a little hop.

"Slow your roll, Mr. Dallas. We still have to find new players in place of the ones who are MIA." I laugh.

"Sorry, I just got really excited." Principal Dallas says, brushing off his suit.

"Well, you can get excited when we win Friday night. Especially when we get these new players." I say, straightening the tablecloth on the table.  

"Right, right. Carry on, kids. Oh, Ms. August, before I forget, here is your to-do list for tryouts today. Make sure to complete all of the tasks and assignments. Also, there is a checklist of all the equipment here as well, just to make sure today's tryouts go smoothly. " Principal Dallas says, handing me the clipboard. 

"Thank you, Principal Dallas. I'll make sure everything is completed and gathered." I reply with a smile. 

"Good, do well and remember to have fun. We play to win." Principal Dallas then exits the field with a nod and a smile. 

As Principal Dallas leaves, William comes from around the table we set up to talk to me about our plans for later. 

"Okay, babe, so what's the game plan here?" Will asks as he makes his way over to me with my whistle. 

I kiss him on the cheek as a thank-you and then explain my plan. 

"Okay, so here's the deal. We call a team meeting, like usual. Now, these boys and girls are coming from everywhere, so we are getting every city, county, town and possibly state up in here." I say with determination. 

"Alright, so if we're gonna do this, we're gonna have to do it right. Fox style, of course." Will says. 

"Yes, which means we have to put them through the same trials and training you were put through when you joined the team. So, Will, when they get here, you will take care of the new recruits, okay?" I say, checking my clipboard. 

"Got it. Well, I think I'm all finished with the setup here. See you after school, babe." Will says, planting one last kiss on my cheek before grabbing his jersey and his backpack and heading back into the school. 

"Bye! And you be good in class!" I shout after him while still monitoring my clipboard with my checklist and game plans. 

As I study, I hear the soft grassy footsteps of two people. I turn to see Charlie and Music with giant blue bins filled with equipment for today's practice. I place my clipboard on the bench and help them out.