A Flower in the Dark

It was a cold, bright day when I met Apollo Ambrosia.

I was sitting in the parlour, embroidering absent-mindedly in front of the window. The room was silent except for my steady breathing and the dutiful ticking of the grandfather clock opposite from the door. My fingers were pale against the cloth, as was everything in the room; the blue and silver walls did nothing for my complexion. I remember looking out the window as I heard the gates open; I remember watching my Uncle Banye's carriage make its way to the palace doors.

Little did I know how much my world would change that day.

There was a timid knock at the door. I looked back just as the door opened, and my servant Gilla looked into the room. She was small and rather skinny for a shifter, but she was gentle and kind, and I truly loved her.

"My Lady, your uncle has arrived at the palace." She said quietly, bowing her head respectfully. "Your brother asks that you join him to receive him."

"Of course." I set down my embroidery and smoothed down my skirt. Gilla stood patiently as I walked over to the door; when I reached her, she held out her arm, and I slipped mine through quietly. I was past the age that required that I be escorted in such a fashion, but Gilla knew without saying anything that I liked it. She'd been with me since the day I was born, and she was one of the few people I felt at ease with.

Our footsteps echoed in the crystal halls as we made our way to the great room, and as we drew closer I could see Hayane waiting patiently for me. He was a vision in white and yellow faerie silk, and as always, I was struck by his graceful beauty. He grew his light hair long, and it trailed down his back like a pale yellow snake. His green eyes flicked to meet mine as Gilla and I approached, and he smiled vaguely at me when we reached him.

"He's come a day early, so I apologize if I caught you off guard." Hayane told me politely.

"Not at all." I replied just as courteously. It was a routine now; my brother and I loved each other deeply, but we had no idea how to express it. Polite

Hayane nodded in response, offering his own arm. Gilla gently disentangled herself and bowed deeply as I went to take my brother's arm.

"I'll be here, my Lady." Gilla told me dutifully, and I smiled at her before Hayane gently pulled me to the doors. Another servant knocked once on the huge doors, and the servants on the other side promptly pulled the doors open for us. Hayane and I walked gracefully into the great room, and at the far end of the huge space, I saw my uncle standing with a figure I'd never seen before.

I will not lie. There was no moment where my heart beat uncontrollably, or where something in me simply knew. As a little girl, I'd been read dozens of girls stories about the moment when one fell in love. Once, I even dreamed for that moment. But now, when the moment had arrived, I was a girl with no dreams. I'd known only numbness and sorrow, and when I laid eyes on the one I loved, I felt nothing but a faint curiousity. Who was this beautiful man, and why had he come to my home?

"Hayane!" Banye called out happily. "Ylaris! Sweet children, you two look more beautiful every time I see you."

I peeked at Hayane as our uncle began to stride towards us. My brother was smiling, but his lips were faintly stiff; he had no patience for our uncle. He was boisterous and loud and pompous, and only I knew how much restraint Hayane exercised not to snap at him.

"Uncle." Hayane stated courteously.

Before, he would have attempted a bow, but he was too used to our uncle by now. As expected, I watched as Banye pulled him into a fierce hug. Hayane smiled tightly, patting Banye's back awkwardly.