New Birth

When Cindy opened her eyes, everything ached. She cried out in the dark when she tried to move her head; stars exploded in her vision and her breath hitched at the pain. She took several moments just to lie still again - once the pain subsided she slowly opened her eyes again.

She was in the woods, that's for sure. At night. The sky was pitch black, and the air and the mossy ground she lay on was cold and damp. Something, probably a root, dug into the small of her back. Cindy could hear the hoot of an owl close by, and something skittered through the branches high above her.

Tear pricked her eyes as she lay there; the memories rushed back with the awful realization that the bottom half of her body was stark naked. She was so cold and exposed down there, and she burned with an ache that made her feel disgusted and ashamed.

How had she gotten here?

She'd been at the bar with her boyfriend, Jim. He'd just found out he was accepted to the University of British Columbia, and he was so ecstatic. Cindy could remember smoothing his flyaway hair, curls that were dark and so nice against his flushed skin as he brought her their drinks. They'd seen a couple friends of his, and they'd come over and joined them. The night was long, and fun. Cindy couldn't remember how many drinks she'd had.

Fast forward to her apartment. Jim had paused at her door, holding her close as he kissed her long and deep. His lips were so warm, his touch was so soft. She'd wanted to stay like that forever, but she heard the door open across the hall. Mrs. Bolskev, her neighbour. She was sweet, with four cats that mewed happily whenever Cindy came over. She like poking into other people's business, so Cindy decided she'd rather befriend the old lady than have the woman wonder and gossip about her life. She didn't want her watching, so she told Jim goodnight and that she'd see him tomorrow. He smiled happily at her, his blue eyes so adoring. She could remember thinking how lucky she was.

Fast forward again. Banging on the door. Darkness. Her pale fingers fumbling for a switch. Who could that be? The pull of her robe over her pyjamas. Stumbling down the hallway. Open the door a crack.

Darkness.

The next thing she remembered made Cindy sob. When she came to, there was a man on top of her. She was in some kind of basement, and there were other men watching. Ted Roscoe was with them. He saw her look at him, and he smiled cruelly and waved. She cried, and the man on top of her laughed. He was so heavy, and too rough. His eyes were silver, which she didn't think was strange at the time. When she screamed at him to stop, he pushed harder. When he came, she cried and cried and cried, and the men laughed.

"My turn again, Fleur." Roscoe was unbuttoning his pants, his dark eyes greedy as he looked at her. Cindy blacked out again.

When she came to, someone was pushing her roughly out of a car. She hit the ground hard, but she made no noise. Her eyes stayed close. She didn't want them knowing she was awake. Didn't want them thinking they could violate her again.

"We should bury her."

"Why?"

"You heard the big man. He's furious. That little old bitch who lived across the hall from her saw us take her. She already called the police. They'll be looking for her now. "

"You really think they'll come out this far? We're two hours from town."

Pause.

"I guess you're right. I'm too tired to deal with this anymore."

"Let's get outta here then."

The thud of car doors. The rev of an engine. Gentle roar as the car bumped and lurched its way back to the main road, wherever it was. Cindy couldn't think. Everything hurt. She closed her eyes again.