Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

He blinked. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me," she said, holding her chin high.

He bit his lip, trying hard not to laugh. "Well, usually when I iron my cat, it only takes me about fifteen minutes."

"Well, it takes me longer than that," she said, trying hard to keep a straight face. "Sorry we can't all be as accomplished as you."

"I'll come over and help, then I'll take you out to dinner, alright?"

"What if I don't want to?"

"Do you still like nasi goreng and satay?"

"What?"

"There's a new Malaysian inspired restaurant on 8th Avenue South, it's like Malaysian and American fusion. I've wanted to try it out for a while, apparently it's great." He grinned. "Who better to try it with?"

"Who do you think you are?"

"One of your best friends," he said. "And I know I messed up, but I wanna try again. Give me one more chance, Robbie. I've missed you."

She gritted her teeth, then sighed. "You know me," she said weakly.

"You can't keep a grudge. Even though you really should." He held out his arms and she hesitantly hugged him. He kissed the top of her head. "I've missed you so much, Robbie."

"When do you want to go?"

"Tonight?" His lips quirked up into a smile. "Although I don't want to interrupt that laminated cat of yours."

"He can wait, I suppose."

"See you tonight, then. Dress nice, okay?"

"Better than you, anyway."

He made a little sound like she'd punched him in the gut, then laughed. "Can I borrow your phone real quick?"

She handed it over, and he typed something in, before she heard a quiet ding from inside his jacket. "There. Now I have your number, and you have mine. Send me your address so I can pick you up, okay?"

"Fine."

He smiled. "See you soon."

Robin sighed, angrily biting her lip so hard that it began to bleed. She needed to make sure that he understood that she didn't care anymore, and she needed to stop the goddamn butterflies in her stomach that threatened to make her throw up.

<><><><><><><><>

She looked at herself in the mirror. Her eyes and face were done up fairly naturally, with the heavy eyeliner that only looked natural on her face now. Her lips were a natural shade, and her hair was done in an elaborate pinned up braid on her head. Her dress was a black one, with pink cherry blossoms adorning the skirt, which flared out and made her look thinner than she was, and black heels that could kill a man.

She looked killer.

She heard the doorbell and she took a deep breath to ease her nerves. She looked good. She looked good, and she was going to make Jordan Casper regret ever treating her badly. She went to the door and opened it.

He turned around, holding a bouquet of roses and wearing a smart shirt, suspenders and a red tie, with dress pants. He was silent for a moment, staring at her.

She waved her hand. "Earth to Jordan?"

"S-Sorry," he stammered, holding the flowers out for her. "You look... lovely."

"Thank you. Are we leaving now?"

"Yep. Got a jacket?"

"Yeah, I do."