21-30

21. After his death his body was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the Ganges and Yamuna rivers in India, in a private ceremony according to Hindu tradition.

22. He was born in Liverpool, England, on 25 February 1943.

23. Harrison was the youngest of four children of Harold Hargreaves Harrison and his wife Louise.

24. He had one sister, Louise, and two brothers, Harry and Peter.

25. His mother was a shop assistant from a Catholic family with Irish roots.

26. His father was a bus conductor who had worked as a ship's steward on the White Star Line.

27. According to Boyd, Harrison's mother was particularly supportive: "All she wanted for her children is that they should be happy, and she recognized that nothing made George quite as happy as making music."

28. While pregnant with George, his mother often listened to the weekly broadcast Radio India. Harrison's biographer Joshua Greene wrote, "Every Sunday she tuned in to mystical sounds evoked by sitars and tablas, hoping that the exotic music would bring peace and calm to the baby in the womb."

29. Harrison was born and lived the first six years of his life at 12 Arnold Grove, Wavertree, Liverpool; a terraced house in a dead end street. The home had an outdoor toilet and its only heat came from a single coal fire.

30. Harrison's earliest musical influences included George Formby, Cab Calloway, Django Reinhardt and Hoagy Carmichael.