7-When The Vines Shake

I awoke with a gasp my lungs were on fire and my head pounded. "Scout! Scout! Thank god! I thought you died"Tegan sighs as I sit up from the table I had layed on moving to the chair to sit across from my brother. "You're not real"I whisper looking around for anything to be able to tell that this was all just a dream. "I'm very real Scout."He says pulling me into a hug I push him away looking at him flabbergasted.

"You died. You were dead. How are you not dead? They killed you."I whisper the words he can't be real.

"I didn't die I got away."Tegan says with pride. I scowl my confusion turning to anger.

"YOU LEFT ME! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD! I CRIED MYSELF TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT FOR A YEAR. A YEAR. I HAVEN'T SEEN NOR HEARD FROM YOU IN YEARS. FOUR BIRTHDAYS I HAD WITHOUT MY BIG BROTHER. FOUR CHRISTMAS', FOUR THANKSGIVINGS, FOUR HALLOWEENS, PUBERTY, 8TH GRADE GRADUATION, LOSING MY BEST FRIEND, DISCOVERING MY 'MUTATION', MY FIRST DAY OF HIGH SCHOOL, MY FIRST DANCE, AND FOUR ANNIVERSARIES OF YOUR 'DEATH'. ALL OF IT. YOU MISSED THEM ALL."I sit back down taking a deep breath and crossing my arms "And you know what? You were alive this whole time. Acting as if nothing ever happened. Like you never had a little sister. Like nothing ever mattered. Like I never mattered and you know what?"I continue stareing at him not letting myself cry he's silent watching me with a blank expression."I don't care. I don't even care at all. Because even though this is all bullshit. You're alive. You're an asshole but you're alive"I shrug.

He gives me a small smile and picks me up in a bear hug spinning me around before sitting me down."It wasn't safe for me to come back. I didn't know you had the x-gene. I thought it was safer for you out there then with the big brother who catches on fire when he's angry. I can see you can clearly take care of yourself now."He indicates to the chair I had been sitting in which now had legs covered in vines.

"Where's Andy?"I ask looking around the empty silent room it was small and had a cot set up in the corner the table sat in the middle a door leading to somewhere.

"He's helping w-"He gets cut off by a man yelling and the sound of scraping metal.

"Move!" There is crashing and the sound of breaks squeeling. Tegan grabs my hand pulling me out of the room and down some stairs there was the back half a truck and a path of destruction in its way.

"Oh my god!" I put my hand over my mouth suppressing a gasp. My brother realeses my hand before running down to help up another man"Is everyone alright?"Tegan asks I see Andy and Lauren stand up. I run down towards them including them in a hug."Are you okay?"I ask them"mom"Lauren pulls away running over to her mother.

Andy stays looking me over "Are you okay?"He asks face wrinkled in worry.

"You almost got hit by a truck and you ask if I'm okay?"I stand flabbergasted by how ridiculous he was being.

"I heard you yelling at Tegan. I just wanted to make sure you were okay. He didn't hurt you did he?"Andy says the last part sending a glare to my brother.

"Why would I hurt my sister?"Tegan says confused and slightly annoyed. Giving a forced smile towards Andy.

"I don't know. You've hurt her before. I mean leaving her thinking you were dead for four years. That kind of hurts. You don't know how much she cried. How much she went through because of you. The bullies. The threats. Thinking it was her fault. You hurt her."The floor shakes some as Andy's voice rises with anger. I grab his hand quickly.

"Andy calm down"Mrs. Strucker says Andy continues to glare at my brother.

"Dude I never meant for that to happen I was protecting her by staying away from her."Tegan trys to explain.

"Maybe that should continue"Andy's words were razor sharp daring Tegan to continue.

"From what I've heard you left her. You don't get a say in what goes on between me and my little sister. No matter how big and bad you think you are."Tegan' s words were solid and seemed as if the final word as he moved to grab my hand.

"Don't touch her!"The building shakes as Andy's anger peaks I quickly grab Andy's hand"I'm okay Andy it's okay come on let's go get some fresh air. Just me and you."I pull him away towards what I hoped was the outdoors. Andy seemed to calm fingers lacing around mine as we walked.

"I'm sorry."His words were quick and quiet but I heard them loud and clear.

"It's okay. I was mad at him too. Thank you for sticking up for me Andy, but I can take care of myself next time."I reply as he smiles at me.

------------

Dedicated to ItsMeBethanyT for the amazing cover she made for this book. Thank you love ❤